Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard GTX spare wheel?

Hi,

Just joined and been searching for the last hour or so and reading a lot of interesting threads, but none answering my question.

I have recently purchased a 1990 GTX AWD 1.8 turbo. I discovered after purchase (don't ask) it had no spare, jack or wheel brace.

I bought a standard wheel and tire only to find it won't fit the spare wheel well as it's to big. 185/60x14 is 580mm, the spare wheel well is 530mm.

I assume it came with a space saver spare, makes sense, but, the diameter it much smaller than the standard road wheels. Does this cause any issues with wind up in diffs/transfer case as with a non rally 4x4 type layout?

Really appreciate any advise.

Thanks,

Nigel
    1990 Familia GTX Hatch + GT28 + stuff

I had a doughnut spare in my USDM 4wd protege and I had to use it once. I would not drive very fast with it on if you had to ever use it. you are better off with the full size spare if you do a lot of driving.
    2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
    1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Thanks NR,

I understand it's only to get to somewhere to repair the main wheel. (Slow and cautious) I am just a little concerned that the difference in wheel diameter with cause wind up in diffs and transfer case etc?

Nigel

Comment

I was worried too when I had to use mine, I literally lost a wheel... stud broke and stripped the other 3 and it flew off into a river and floated away... I had no other choice. I have put 30,000 miles on it since then and have had no adverse effects. I have the GTX trans as well so it would be the same as your vehicle. I always like to er on the side of caution though, if you already have it, a full size spare is best.
        2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
        1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

the diffs will handle the difference for a short while. It's just to get the car rolling to the nearest tire shop. It'll be all right.

I keep a fullsize spare but mostly cuz I don't have a spacesaver laying about.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thanks Guys,

That is exactly the info I was after.

Take care,

Nigel

Comment

Working...
            X