Rotary Blues (2nd gen rx-7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary Blues (2nd gen rx-7)

I have a friend that owns a convertible black 2nd gen RX-7 which is a pretty sweet ride he wants to do some modding but dosen't even know his own engine (he thought he had V6 for cryin out loud!) now I know rotaries but wants to know if he can swap his engine out for a third gen twin turbo manual (gave him some edu on rotaries) websites or any kind of modding info i can give him (hey I only know so much on Rotarians) thanks.
    Sandon Davis

Don't mess with the Sandman

tell him about the chevy sb350 swap massive power with that thing
    i is dumb

Comment

i think a TII swap would be easier... somewhat... compare to a 13B-REW swap

a turbo vert FC would be sweet as hell

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by skr33t_rac3r
        tell him about the chevy sb350 swap massive power with that thing
        werd
        Looking for an MP3 ECU, possibly swap for P5 ECU or shoot me a price

Comment

you can make some pretty good power with a n/a (150-160rwhp) and the last longer than a turboII motor, do to the swap he will need the motor,tranny, ecu, harness and rear end I have the motors and trannys here at the shop-
          chris @ spd racing 760-787-5759

Comment

eh you and dre need to actually DYNO that car before 'claiming' that it makes 200hp....

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

zoom zoomh your avatar kills me man...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Menace
                better yet, no.

v8 swappers are morons. if you want a "big 'merican v8" go buy a hemi
                I thought you didn't like hemis??
                They're old and stupid right??
                Or do you just hate the commercials??
                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Menace
                  why?

when we can looka t what other identical cars DID dyno....

add up the mods and you have yourself a really good estimate based off other peopels dynos....

you cant argue anything is going to change from one 90 GXL to another....
                  ah, but they are physically different cars from one another, the ONLY way to FACTUALLY KNOW what Dre's car ACTUALLY put out is putting his car on a dyno.

you stated that 200hp claim as if it's FACTUAL, ie from a dyno sheet ran by Dre's car.

need an 'estimated' asterik in front of your claim there

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

u could get a **** load of crap at a swap meet with 200 extra bucks for the 350
                    i is dumb

Comment

Rotaries are cool, stick with it! Forget about swapping in the FD3S engine set up, it's a waste of time and money. It's a very failure prone setup. With a good series5 (89-91) TurboII engine, the core is nearly identical to an FD at less cost. You can make a lot of power even in stock form, and by upgrading internals the sky is (almost) the limit. With a nice sized single you can make huge power, have simpler and more reliable engine setup, and less heat involved as well. Also makes a nice light and clean engine bay.

I used to have an 86 RX-7. It made 647 whp @ 22 psi with a full bridgeport and T72 turbocharger. T56 transmission from a 96 viper, and ford 9" rear end from an F-150, isuzu npr 'larege' ic with 3.25" piping, microtech ltx-12 ems, and that was on an 89 TII engine, which i originally bought as a complete running j-spec for $800 us. It was pretty fast.
                      I can give you some advice if you like. I'm doing a new project this fall.
                      Email me anytime to talk rotaries.
                      Last edited by GetFresh.; 03-22-2004, 04:44 AM.
                      I like rotaries. Email me if you want.

Comment

647hp in a 2nd gen?? Holy crap, your damn right thats pretty fast..lol. Please tell your friend not to swap in a 350, that takes away the r in rx7. Go to rx7.com, and ask whether or not to swap the sbc in an rx7. The 2nd gen engine is supposed to be more reliable than the 3rd gen engines. The TII engine can make plenty of HP as stated above, no need to swap it. And you can also make some pretty decent N/A power just by getting a big port, and a few other mods.
                        Eat ****.

Comment

You can get about 175-220 at the wheels with a good streetported NA 2nd gen engine. You don't need a crazy stand alone ems to attain this either, an apex super afc or greddy emanage for instance will do excellent. All other internals should remain stock, with a bit of exhaust port work.
                          Just include all the necessary components (good exhaust, intake, fuel system). Stock ignition is good. (not to mention stuff like radiator, tires)
                          I like rotaries. Email me if you want.

Comment

Working...
                          X