Gonna put my stock shifter back in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna put my stock shifter back in...

I've had my B&M shifter in for about 6 months now. I've been asking around...someone i know is a mechanic. There are times when i can't shift into 1st. 2nd has always been difficult, then today i couldn't shift into 3rd. I know 3rd is the hardest to engage and all that, but I've never had this problem before, and i've driven quite a few manual trannies. I'm sitting at a stoplight, all the cars are going in front of me, and i'm sitting there trying to engage 1st. lol. He suggested maybe the synchros are off. I'm gonna put the stock shifter back in and check to see if i have the same problems. btw, i have the stock bushings. Anyone else have this problem ?
    2002 Sea Breeze Green Protege LX

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
    2 MTX 6000's 10"
    MTX 4250D Amp
    Alpine Type S 6.5" Fronts
    B & M Short Shifter
    Kartboy Bushings
    Full Synthetic

Do you rest your hand on the shifter at all?

Sometimes short shifters make it harder, but it shouldn't be that much harder.

Where are you located? How are the temperatures?

Tell us how it is after you change back to stock.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

did you have any luck after changing back...

I know that short shifters are reportedley blamed for messing up synchros(sp)
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I haven't done it yet, but hopefully this weekend. I live in Massachusetts and today was a little nicer out...close to 40. I was driving today and the shifter was a little smoother. Since this happened, I'm thinking maybe its the tranny fluid. I've heard of the stock fluid getting chunky. But i'm gonna put the old shifter back in and bring it to the dealer, might as well, its only got 15000 miles on it.

btw, no, i dont rest my hand on the shifter.

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
        2 MTX 6000's 10"
        MTX 4250D Amp
        B & M Short Shifter
        Kartboy Bushings
        Full Synthetic

Comment

As Bruce said, short shifters can cause wear on the synchros causing shifting problems. Replacing the transmission oil with a synthetic such as Red Line MT-90 can also make shifting smoother. I found this to be the case with my own car.

If you remove the B&M but still want an improved feel over stock, replace it with a shifter from an MP3 or MSD. They are the same length below the fulcrum point as the 3rd gen sedan and P5 but about one inch shorter above. The advantage is shorter hand movements when shifting but no additional synchro wear since the 'throw' remains the same. Couple one of those with a set of Kartboy shifter bushings and I think you'll find a definite improvement over stock.
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Well, I was out all morning with my car. I was ready to take the B&M out when I was under the car to remove the bolt connecting it to the shift rod. damn, i put that on tight. So before I put the old one on, I greased the bushings on it and the bolt, and put it back in a little bit looser, just in case. and yup, it feels a LOT better now. I decided to stick with it. It's a lot easier to shift. Next weekend hopefully I wanna put the Kartboy bushings in and the redline tranny fluid. I'm gonna keep going with this setup a little longer. Also, it is about 50 degrees today in up here in boston, so I'm wondering how much of a difference that has made.

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
            2 MTX 6000's 10"
            MTX 4250D Amp
            B & M Short Shifter
            Kartboy Bushings
            Full Synthetic

Comment

Good move loosening the bolt that connects the shift lever to the shift rod. As you found out, when that bolt's too tight it makes for difficult shifting. I should have mentioned in my last post that according to the FSM, the torque setting for the bolt is: 12-16 ft/lbs. (16-22 N/m).

02 DX Millenium Red
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
              X