Instrument cluster removal '88 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster removal '88 GT

I need to remove the cluster on my '88 GT to replace the speedometer cable. I've removed the bezel, the four screws that secure the cluster and disconnected the wires that are on either end. It will pull out several inches but not far enough to get my hand back there to remove/replace the cable in the speedo or undo the wires that are still connected to the back of the cluster. What's the trick to either pulling the cluster out completely or at least far enough to do the cable? The FSM really isn't much help. Hopefully a complete dash disassembly isn't required. Thanks for any assistance.

remove the under-dash panel and snake your arm in to disconnect the speedo cable . that will allow more room to move it for the harness

Comment

Pop the hood, find the cable and unscrew it above the tranny. Feed slack through firewall towards cluster.

Comment

I should have mentioned the speedo cable is already dsiconnected from the cluster and I still can't pull it out far enough to connect the new cable. Plus fishing the new cable through the maze of wires behind the cluster isn't going to be easy unless I can pull the cluster out farther.

Edd

Comment

From the inside of the firewall you will need to pinch in the plastic tabs that hold the cable. The cluster needs to come out and I think you can get to the tabs without pulling the dash as an assembly. Also if you are replacing the complete cable assembly, pull back the boot and you can just pry it out from under the hood...the tabs will break off... as you will likely be trashing it any way. When installing the new one it goes in from under the hood. Pull back the boot and push it in... the tabs will grab on the inside then just push the boot back over the plastic tab thingy.

Comment

what everyone has said. Plus: I know on both my GT and my Tracer the harness in the dash was taped/pinned to the metal reinforcement right below the cluster. A good, solid yank will either pop the pin loose od tear the tape from the pin's legs. Once the harness is free the entire cluster should rotate completely out of the dash cavity. When I did the digital to analog conversion in the GT I also started with the tilt column at its lowest point, and still ended up loosening the mounts and dropping the column down.

Rob

Comment

Working...
            X