Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint job question

hey
    just wondering about painting my car (black preferably ) from beige/tan color, well actually no one can figure out wat color it is exactly but its kinda close to that.

Wat prices (hopefully not crazy ) am i looking at for a full paint job?
    and also how many people have tried painting their car themselves, and how did the experience go?

thanks

*i am the yetti*
    black
    12.50%
    midnite blue (or just dark blue)
    37.50%
    white
    12.50%
    red
    12.50%
    MAN just cover it in mudd and be sweet looking
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

protege faq

1994 protege LX DOHC
    stock (for now)
    tan/beige color (for now)

Your color is your preference, but if I was going to choose... I would go black. Also depends on what your going to do later to the car I guess...

Another thing... Prices depend on the quality of the job you get... if you go to Maaco, it will be cheap, but the job may not last long... If you went custom, it would be hella expensive... It's really subjective, and really depends on 1) how much you are willing to spend, 2) how nice a job you want, 3) how long you are going to keep your car...

I think I speak for a few people when I say: "Weight your options..."

Personally, I would get it done personally... that is because I like warranties...

Find out what is feasible my man... and let us know ... PEACE!

Ameen
    Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 02-26-2004, 05:20 PM.
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Well at my shop we would charge about $1,000 to paint it with the four door jams. Another 200 to do the trunk and engine bay...

That is with a lifetime warranty... with Crossfire paint. If you want PPG or Dupont or anything Brand Name you will pay about 3-500 more.

Our jobs come out good even though we don't use PPG or anything like that on complete jobs. On spot repairs and the like we do use PPG though.

I will post up some pics of some of the jobs that we have done so far tommorow, they are on the computer at the shop....Oh and I will post the prices on each job.

On one job I remember we did (don't have pics though) a Cavalier w/ bodykit painted it Orange (it is like a neon orange w/ a blue metallic to it. Shaved the doors, cleaned up some molding on the rear bumpoer and side skirts that had broken....molded a black widow hood scoop, molded a roof scoop, and painted some white graphics on it for $2,400 I believe....just so you have an idea.

Make sure that if you go to someone that is going to do it for cheap that they do quality work (cheak around with people that have painted thier cars with them and make sure that you like the work) Cus we are like the cheapest in my town for this kinda work, but we do good jobs.

Comment

Oh also with Maaco paint jobs if you ever decide to paint the car again after that, then it will end up costing more for a non-maaco paintjob because the paint will have to be stripped off of the car.

Comment

ok cool, thanx guys,

now i got another question, sum1 told me that black is a horible color to paint ur car, because it gets extremely hot in the summer, and all the marks/scratches of everyday driving will show up worse on black color....... is this all true?
          thanks

*i am the yetti*
          protege faq

1994 protege LX DOHC
          stock (for now)
          tan/beige color (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks
            Well at my shop we would charge about $1,000 to paint it with the four door jams. Another 200 to do the trunk and engine bay...

That is with a lifetime warranty... with Crossfire paint. If you want PPG or Dupont or anything Brand Name you will pay about 3-500 more.

Our jobs come out good even though we don't use PPG or anything like that on complete jobs. On spot repairs and the like we do use PPG though.

I will post up some pics of some of the jobs that we have done so far tommorow, they are on the computer at the shop....Oh and I will post the prices on each job.

On one job I remember we did (don't have pics though) a Cavalier w/ bodykit painted it Orange (it is like a neon orange w/ a blue metallic to it. Shaved the doors, cleaned up some molding on the rear bumpoer and side skirts that had broken....molded a black widow hood scoop, molded a roof scoop, and painted some white graphics on it for $2,400 I believe....just so you have an idea.

Make sure that if you go to someone that is going to do it for cheap that they do quality work (cheak around with people that have painted thier cars with them and make sure that you like the work) Cus we are like the cheapest in my town for this kinda work, but we do good jobs.
            Do you have any opinions on painting Fiberglass.
            I am trying to find someone in my city to pain my fiberglass lip good enough and that is proving to be a real task and a half.
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

What do you mean any opinions on it?? Just have them prime it first.

Well here are some pics I thought that I had more...I will dig around...

On this one we also molded the hood scoop..painted in the engine bay..$1200
              Attached Files

Comment

This one I traded for a Civic Body Kit and a set of Civic Coilovers..He bought the Paint, Clear, and Sealer.
                Attached Files

Comment

This one was our first complete paint job...only charged $750 w/ jams..This was probably our cheapest job that we have done, but he has also brought in his Chevy Astro w/ a Xenon kit and we charged him a decent price on that one...
                  Attached Files

Comment

another
                    Attached Files

Comment

Oh and yes any dark color is going to show all imperfections that were done on the body work....any little ripple ding scratch...ANYTHING will be seen. Black is the color that it happens with the most but all dark colors will do it.

Comment

can i get a club discount, same color, dont need jams done :p:

Comment

Yeah if you feel like coming all the way down to New Mexico:p:

The Astro is rollin on Dubs and is the same color as the Light Blue Cibic...
                          We've also done a Sunflower w/ kit. Now in the shop we have a Supra and another kitted Cibic. Two have come in from out of town just so we can paint thier cars...we have another Civic lined up from out of town also.

Oh here's a Ram that we've done (it was red)...$2,600 w/jams, bed, and under the hood. It was an ins. job for repairing one side that was scratched up so we told him we'd do the whole thing for the ins check....After we painted it he put Camo Bed Protectors, Bug Deflector, Back Window Tint, and the trim (you know like the "12 tall chrome trim going down the sides)
                          Attached Files

Comment

How about this for anyone that comes in from the board I'll do a paint job for $650 Base Coat, Clear Coat. Body Work is extra though
                            Sound Good...?? Oh and no one from Roswell hehe

Comment

yeah...i really need a paintjob...how much would it cost to take out a couple dings, and some rubs

Comment

Working...
                              X