The Great Sound-Proofing Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Sound-Proofing Project

Mazda did a great job refining the interior of the 3rd gen, but unfortunately they missed out on some sound dampening stuff, and so there's a lot of road noise. Also, the way I have things set up, I usually have CD's in the side pockets of the front doors, which makes for a lot of rattling noises when I have the bass turned up or when the car is cold in the morning and idling fast. So I have decided to go over the entire car to cut down on noise. Here is what I plan to do:

- Line the floor under the carpet, and possibly the ceiling as well, with a layer of foam carpet padding.
    - Since there isn't enough space in the doors for the carpet padding, fill the doors between the two layers of metal with styrofoam packing peanuts. Bye-bye to road noise.
    - Line the inside of the pockets on the doors with felt, so my CD's don't rattle anymore.
    - Line the inner layer of the front doors with the overpriced dynamat I have left over from the last time I used it, to further cut down on noise (I don't have enough to do the trunk, and I have nowhere else I need it. It's not for rattles cause there's no bass in the front, just as an addition to the styrofoam).

I've heard a few people complain about road noise in the past, I'll keep everyone updated as to how well it works. If everything goes as planned, this will be a very inexpensive fix.

I had the same idea
    I used some hardwood floor padding for the doors,and 9-10 cans of tar sound deadener*
    on the floor and trunk
    1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
    Plus new
    1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

Let us know the outcome.
      2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
      KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
      Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
      Groundkit

Comment