• Show
Clear All

323 gtx noob questions.

Today, 07:48 PM
    phantommaggot
    Mazda Newbie

323 gtx, Worth getting?
    Hi,

I come from the AW11/4ag, S12/13, and VW world.

I,ve always liked the 323 gtx, I have an opportunity to buy a pretty clean example of a 1988

It has 146k miles on it.

I'm having a hard time finding information on the cars.

I know about the weird brakes (disk behind hub I believe)

I found the "buyers guide" that seems to be the most useful thing I found on google.

I'm gonna wanna run it in stock class auto-x for a while.
    Also, I'm gonna wanna daily drive it / restore it (as clean as it is, probably bushings, maybe a brake upgrade - found some stuff that says vr4 brakes will work, Probably a clutch/flywheel ETC)

I need to know a few things..

ONE
    Will the engine last a while if I decide I want to swap a different motor in as opposed to keeping the 1.6?

TWO
    For some reason I cant seem to find out if the car has a blow off valve/recirc valve and intercooler. Does it have either?

THREE
    Are the brakes so much of a PITA that I couldn't do them myself? (Changing Pads)

FOUR
    Are parts (Clutch, flywheel, suspension, ETC) hard to come by?

Otherwise the car is EXTRA clean in the pics.

I'll be searching when I have time, but I need answers from knowledgeable people, and I'm on limited time.

Thanks for any positive posts.
    -J

1. With proper maintenance, it is a very good engine (check the disty)
    2. Recirculation valve and small front/side mount intercooler stock.
    3. Changing pads is the same as any other car, rotors require hub disassembly.
    4. Some parts are getting hard to find, mainly suspension, and CV axles.

The transmissions are weak, and also getting hard to find. If you're planning an engine swap, look into the JDM 1.8 BPT/BPD engine and transmission.
    sigpic
    1992 Familia GT-X
    1988 323 GTX
    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Mainly i wanna know if i could rely on it..
      It seems like it would be a fun little car.

Suspension is usually the first thing I mess with on a car (other than updating the maintenance stuff)
      I would want bushings mostly (D2 makes coilovers according to their site, and I've never minded using ground control stuff when I had to)

I saw that the distributor was quite the odd PITA, Is that distributor proprietary?

How weak is the tranny. I was reading that the stock tranny and engine could hold up with a filter, exhaust, chip, and MBC pushing 16LBS. Gets it to like 170hp or so?

Edit,
      Then again, If I was close to canada, I'd have a synchro passat with a 20v swap :D
      Last edited by phantommaggot; 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

so this car sold, and i think the same one is back for sale again.. instead of the 2k, its now 3500..
        O wait, it was lowered to 3000...

The pics this time however are stolen from google images..

Ill get back to you if its legit and I can pick it up..

Comment

If bad turbos,busted pistons,worn dist.,leaking seals,rotting rads,bad sycros,leaky gas tanks,rusty bake and/or fuel lines,leaky interiors,noisy bearings,electrical gremlins,wonky windows,rust, worn suspension, butcherd interiors,hard to find replacement parts does'nt faze you, then yes they're reliable little cars.
          It ends up being a love hate relationship with those who stick with these cars,theres (were) a lot of orphan gtxs being passed around by guys who would abuse them or could not take care, then pass them off to someone else.Hope that helps.

Comment

ya, but is failure common, or is it rare?

I was under the impression that as long as car isn't way over powered the tranny would be fine.
            only one tranny on car-part. that is ridiculous.

There is defiantly not a radiator for it on autozones website.

are there really no places to get parts for these cars?
            I've searched, RRE has a nice old page on them.. but apperently they gave up...

Comment

The transmissions are known to fail even at stock power levels if abused; that said, they are also holding up for some at around 200whp when driven nice. A replacement rad would likely have to be custom. I don't think anyone makes them anymore.
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Sounds like you need to buy a Honda so you can get your parts at KMart. That was mean. JK
                I have 2 GTX's and a turbo hatch and have no issues finding parts. Dive in..you can always part it out.

Comment

Owning a GTX is a lifestyle.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

A codependent, somewhat abusive lfestyle, but a lifestyle nonetheless. I took more outta mine than it took outta me, just. You will learn to be a mechanic, through and through, but the drive is surprisingly rewarding. Goto the yahoogroups 323gtx list. Them fellers know whereof they speak.
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by DuRWooD View Post
                      Owning a GTX is a lifestyle.
                      amen,brother.

Comment

Lol,
                        Ive had both finicky cars that are a blast, but iffy if you want to drive an hour from home (corrado -_-)
                        and reliable cars that are both but PITA else where.... (mr2, NO space, but a ****ing blast all the time with the 20v swap)

The kid cant decide if he wants to sell the car or not, and he is waiting for the title to come back from the DMV since he JUST bought the car.
                        He also finally sent some better pics and there is rust on the rear arches, If its there it could be anywhere.

The car was purchased at auction buy a guy that owns a tire shop. He wanted to put all all terrain wheels an tires on it and use it for a shop display car. He put the car up for sale when he (at least this is what he told me) decided to go with a jeep since that was the majority of his customer base. SO, I was gonna go look at it, he was asking 2000 for it. The guy that has it now beat me too it and said he put a timing belt and water pump on it. He is apparently selling it for something bigger.. He wants 3 for it (told me he paid 2500 + timing belt/water pump )

I'm worried there is something wrong with it and shops said parts couldn't be had or something like that.

If I go drive it, any way to tell if the tranny is on its way out?
                        Here are his pics

Comment

Look up the Road Race Engineering GTX buyers guide.

Comment

Done that
                            Thats why I came here asking questions. That hasnt been updated in some time, and they no longer seem to support the 323
                            Last edited by phantommaggot; 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

There are 4 common problems with the transmission... one is immediately noticeable, the other 3 are usually sudden with no real way of preventing if they are already in bad shape.

1.) Synchros: driving it.. if you can shift at speed without double clutching, you're good.
                              2.) Planetary: cross your fingers... at a stop, engage the diff lock, drive straight down a street, bad noises? no? good... make a slow speed turn on asphalt, you should hear the rear tires skip/chirp just a little, other noises? no? good... stop, disengage diff lock, does it actually disengage? repeat. This is not a definitive test, it could blow up tomorrow.
                              3.) Gear shaft + worn casing = lateral movement in gear set: cross your fingers... that is the only test.
                              4.) Transfer carrier can become an issue if previous owners have never replaced the fluid... but it's actually a pretty beefy part if it's been maintained. There is also no way of checking... I wish you luck.

Rear arch rust is extremely common on these cars, it can be fixed... it's the underbody/rockers and strut towers you want to look at.
                              /Craig

Have a wonderful day! I hate you!

Comment

Working...
                              X