need help! CEL question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help! CEL question.

sup guys, i have been having some trouble with the old protege, its running like ass

ok so to start i put in a cold air intake, and everything went to hell, the car was falling on its face, like spuddering, and not making too good of power, so i tore it apart and re-installed it, just to make sure it was right, and checked for leaks.

then i took off the mass air flow censor, made a seal and put it back on, pressure tested it, with no leaks. took it out again for a drive, same ****. also running real rich.

so i figure, maybe im pulling in too much air, because i live in maine, and its balls cold, so maybe, just maybe its getting wayyyyy too much cold air, i take it apart again, and convert it to short ram, it helps some, but not much.

so i start to pull **** apart, and check stuff, i went out and bought a new mass air flow censor, cause i thought it might be that, no luck,

so then i go out and buy new plugs and wires, and throw them in, again nothing,

then i took the 02 censor out cleaned it off , and put it back in. nothing again.

now more on what its doing, it kinda lacks power upto 4k, as soon as it hits 4k it revs freely and fine, also the car runs real rich now. it threw a code and the code was p0103, maf or vaf circuit high input. im at a loss for what to do. also it kinda smells like sulfure, maybe thats from the rich condition, but i dunno.

please help, lol i have been trouble shooting this for like a week. and didnt want to post till i was out of ideas.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

THEGOLDPRO,

I don't know how much this will help, but I checked my FSM for P0103 code and this is what it says: MAF circuit high input (as you stated)
    PCM monitors input voltage from MAF sensor after ignition key is turned on. If input voltage at PCM terminal 88 is ABOVE 4.9 V, PCM determines that MAF circuit has a malfunction.

This is a continuous monitor (CCM).
    MIL illuminates if PCM detects the above malfunction condition during the first drive cycle.

Possible Cause:
    MAF sensor malfunction
    Connector or terminal malfunction
    Short to power circuit in wiring between MAF sensor terminal C and PCM terminal 88.

From your symptoms, it certainly sounds like an MAF problem. The increased air density due to very cold air should not be a problem to a normally fuctioning MAF as it should easily be able to compensate for this. Since you have replaced your MAF, it's possible the problem is in the connections as stated in the FSM and you should probably check there next.

I hope this helps and good luck with finding the problem.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

If input voltage at PCM terminal 88 is ABOVE 4.9 V, PCM determines that MAF circuit has a malfunction
      OK where is terminal 88, i assume its the connector going to the MAF, and also do you know which wires to check for the 4.9 volts???? thanks for the help man.

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I'll give you the best info that I can from looking at the FSM but I'm not too sure of myself since I have never carried out this proceedure. The diagram shows that the MAF has 3 terminals, labelled A, B and C (in the diagram).
        The wire from term A connects to the Main Relay Terminal D.
        The wire from term C connects to PCM term 88.
        The wire from term B connects to PCM term 77 (which looks like a ground connection according to the PCM diagram.

The first step is to check for a poor connection in the MAF sensor connector. To do this, turn ignition key to OFF, disconnect the connector and check for a bent terminal.

The next step is to inspect the MAF signal circuit for a short to the power circuit. To do this, turn ignition key to ON (engine OFF). Measure the voltage between MAF sensor terminal C (harness side) and body ground. The voltage should be 0 Volts. If it's not, the harness must be repaired or replaced.

The third step is to check for a poor connection in the PCM connector. To do this, turn ignition key to OFF, disconnect the PCM connector and check for bent terminals.

It appears that you check for the 4.9 V right at the PCM terminal 88 with the ignition key turned ON. A voltage above 4.9 V here indicates that the MAF circuit has a malfunction.

There is a diagram of the MAF sensor harness side connector (viewed from the terminal side). This shows 3 terminals in line from left to right followed by 2 blank spaces:
        These are labelled in the diagram as terminals A B C - - , from left to right in that order. This should help in making the tests.

I hope I've been clear enough in explaining this as this is new to me also. If there is anything else I can do, let me know. Good luck.

02 DX Millenium Red
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

YEAH you are very clear, just to make sure, are the examples that you are giving me, for the 1.6 litre???

i checked for loose connections, and tried the voltage test, but did not know what to go by, i will try again with your directions. thank you for helping goldstar

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

No, actually my FSM is for the 2.0 liter engines. I just assumed the instructions would apply to your car because I thought both models being OBD II compliant would have the same operating parameters. Also, the code you posted (P0103) is listed in my FSM under the same heading. I hope I'm not wrong about this because I wouldn't want to increase your problems by posting the wrong proceedures. I guess you'd better check this out before you go any further. Sorry if I messed things up.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

LOL no problem man, im just kinda expermenting, i think i might just take it to mazda, i have never brought my car to a shop, but i hate electrical ****, anything mechanical i can do, but when it comes to wires and ****, im a dummy.

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Working...
              X