Power steering rack for 1990 4wd Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering rack for 1990 4wd Pro

For more information about my project car, look at the work log link in my sig.
    My steering rack leaks and I need to figure it out. There's only a few big problems left to fix and this is one. I found a thread from a few years ago with some great information in it.

Looping the lines is an options of last resort as I really don't like the strong arm method at slow speeds. I'll link this to my main worklog as usual and update as I make progress.

I guess the first question I need to answer is do I need to take the rack off the car to change the seals? My resources are of course Google, and the book I have about rack and pinion steering, then there's the guy at the alignment shop that always seems willing to help.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Hail the mighty Google

Comment

Wheel alignment specs
      Mazda
      323 and Protege1990-1994 front 2wd
      Caster 1.90 degrees
      Camber -0.10 degrees
      Toe-in 3/32"
      4WD
      Caster 2.56 degrees
      Camber -0.75 degrees
      Toe-in 3/32"
      rear
      Camber -0.33 degrees
      Toe-in 3/32"

Don't know if I'll ever find this useful but here it is in any case.

Comment

iirc the 4wd rack is different from the fwd .. or is it the same and simply mounted different .. and LOL @ the pic "This is an exact* picture of your part. We do not use generic pictures. Our cataloging team is the best in the industry and it ensures that you get the right part, the first time." and then in the pic itself ..." this picture is an example. your part will look different "

Comment

Yea they're different. Dealership is closed today and tomorrow so no love from them. Costless doesn't even have information about 4wd steering rack outside of reman($450+core). They did suggest that I pull the rack out and attempt to match the seals individually. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give that a shot but not yet. There's still more leg work to do.

Lol @ the pic ----
          That's a great deal on this assembly but I can't help but feel it's made out of plastic. I'd probably be better trying to build one myself.
          Last edited by 1st Gen; 05-27-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I have an AWD steering rack in my garage.... But I gotta double check if it's spoken for though

Last edited by Damkid; 05-27-2012, 04:21 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Is the 4WD BF rack much different than the BG?
              sigpic
              1992 Familia GT-X
              1988 323 GTX
              2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
              2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I've seen this question before but have no answer. I don't think there are many if any part that are interchangeable between the BF and BG, let alone the 4wd BG. I have no reason to think the steering rack would be pnp between the models. If someone has an answer, please chime in.

Edit-808 wrote "You'd be surprised at the similarities between the bf gtx and the bg 4wd pro... "
                Last edited by 1st Gen; 05-27-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I cant be sure but i think they are interchangeable.
                  '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                  '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

That would might make them easier to get. Not sure. Anyone willing to do a comparison?
                    I'll do a part number comparison when the dealership opens on Tues. If they are the same, then a kit might be easier to get. We'll see.

Edit-It looks like Rockauto carries the BF 4wd turbo pinion seal kit. FWIW-it is different from the BG FWD kit.
                    Last edited by 1st Gen; 05-27-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

The last diagram is from my 4WD shop manual and is just for reference. The first two are from the dealership.
                      There is a part number for the 4WD steering rack kit (32-180A) but it's not being offered. There is nothing being offered for the BF 323 4wd.
                      He suggested I order the parts individually which may be my eventual course of action.

I forgot to ask if the FWD kit was the same part number. Doh!
                      Last edited by 1st Gen; 05-29-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

The AWD PS rack is completly different from the 2wd racks. The biggest difference is the mounting point, there is a 45 degree "ramp" on the left side mount. You can get a seal kit for the AWD, but I highly advise against it. You'll need a ton of special tools that are no longer available. I was also unable to sourse bearings (mine where a bit rough); you can get the right diameters but not the correct thickness. I pulled mine apart and I tried using some special tools that where "close", but not close enough and I make a big mess of it. My rack could still be repaired, but the costs where starting to add up to more than the cost of a reman. If you can get a reman unit for $450; go for it, you'll be money ahead in the long run. I decided to convet to Manual with a rack from a 323DX; it is a ton lighter, but there is still some fab work to be done.
                        Attached Files

Comment

What's stopping me from converting to manual steering is that I've been driving it with what ever fluid hasn't leaked out yet with no power assist and I hate it. If dedicated manual was better/easier, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Comment

A manual rack is way easier to steer compared to a "de-powered" power steering rack

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

There was no manual 4wd rack as far as I'm aware.
                              1990 Protege 4WD
                              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
                              X