Corksport GTR downpipe install on 4wd Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corksport GTR downpipe install on 4wd Protege

Derrick is a bery bery bad man for putting this thing on the market. I don't know what I'll do if and when this turbo lets go, but till then, it'll be fun. And heck the gearbox'll prolly go first anyhow so....

So I took the car up to my pals' shop cuz again, he has a lift and I don't and I'm too old and crotchety to work on my back under jackstands if I don't have to. The original downpipe came off nice and easy, no siezed fasteners, which was kinda amazing. There were no surprises putting the new one on. No, you saw corksports' ad, you know what you're installing. The surprise is what you're taking off. If you're me, and you've found a GTR swapped awd pro for like cheap, and you're just needing finishing touches to make it go, you laugh yourself silly and don't look a gift horse in the mouth and fix what ain't broken. Besides, you've seen the GTR manifolds, both pretty dern good items for factory parts, so whatever's hiding under the heatsheild can't be too bad, can it? Click image for larger version

Name:	stockdp.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1269002
    Well geeze wouldja lookit that horrble choking wheezing skiinny 90degree abortion of a downpipe. OK time to bolt the new one in. Remove lower IC hose plumbing. Unbolt stock DP, do the happydance that all fasteners come off without breaking studs or stripping threads. Install new DP. Hmmph. You can't get to the fastener at 11 o'clock without removing the hardline housing at the waterpump. You just can't. So drain coolant and remove housing and bolt up DP and off you go, right?
    Wrong. What you do instead, if you're me, is run the first bolt through and spin it into the threads by hand, get the socket on it and watch it go *snap* before you tighten it down to the washer. This is a most excellent way to turn a 2 hour job into an 8 hour job. We looked at the other fastener, saw where it's visibly stretched, and threw it away. Now I know I gotta take the blame, but I've never removed those bolts before. I need to do a better job of inspecting all fasteners before reusing them. So after removing broken bolt and redrilling hiole and installing Time-sert threads and re-removing downpipe and pwrsteering pump and IC plumbing and everything else that had to get outta the way to fix this, we welded the flex up to the new DP, and made it talk to the rest of the exhaust. Then we put the undertray back on. Well, this GTR DP might fit on a GTR, but I tell you what, it doesn't quite clear the undertray tin on a Protege. We had to have a discussion with the tray to convince it to cooperate.
    First thing we notice upon starting it up is, it doesn't wanna idle. It's running way lean. This makes no sense; if there was an exhaust leak before and there isn't now, the O2 sensor should be saying "hey there ain't hardly any O here, we're running way lean, add fuel" and if there wasn't a leak and we made one, it should be saying "hey we have too much O here, add fuel"... but we put it back on the lift and looked for leaks. Ain't none. I refuse to believe that a new DP can make so much more flow *at idle* to lean it out, so it's still a mystery. And of couse the wiring that lets the keypad talk to the ECU chose this as a fine time to act up, so I can't talk to the ECU till I go into the circuit board and re-re-re-re-solder the loose traces. Again. Sucks having a delaminating circuitboard in your ECU, but I ain't gonna replace it just yet. Too broke for that ****.
    But after a while, it figured out how to idle on it's own, AFR's looked OK, EGT's looked normal, so go for a drive. Well. Hmmm.
    Seems some Chinese guy did something to my car. Cuz I find I need to say the fellers' name every now and again. His name is Ho... Ho Li Fook.
    Throttle response is, um, improved. It's using areas of the fuel/ignition map it's never used before, the big-boost-at-low-RPM areas. It's going right to the tippytop of the MAP sensor so fast it's just silly. It's showing significant vacuum on the guage going down the road at 90, it's never done that before, it's even climbing grades under vacuum that it's always had to go into positive pressure to climb. Kinda indicates air is moving through the system better, ya think? It's too early to tell what's happened to fuel economy, but there's 230 miles on the tripmeter and a third of a tank showing, so that's very encouraging. It was no slouch with that stock DP on there before but now it's just ridiculous. Lemme mention that I have yet to put my foot to the floor. Until I can do a datalog and make sure everything's happy, I won't. But so far, no knock, no detonation, and more power at half throttle than there was at full throttle before. I'll get after that keypad commms issue later today... cuz Mr. Ho Lee Fook says I better, or else...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	csdp.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1269003
    Last edited by jay; 06-08-2012, 12:27 PM.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

I love a happy ending Nice info too.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

heh... that's the same 60mm "power series" part that they've had for a long time, right? Except this one is flanged for the VJ23 instead of the VJ20?

Comment

the wastegate pipe is routed a little different, but they are almost the same.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

The vj20 dp I got from them a long ways back wasn't a divorced flow setup iirc. This thing may very well be similar to a later version. All I know is I consider it money well spent.
          and it's interesting to see how similar the flange is compared to a garrett. Some day I'd like to lay em out side by side and see what if any the differences are.
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
            heh... that's the same 60mm "power series" part that they've had for a long time, right? Except this one is flanged for the VJ23 instead of the VJ20?
            This downpipe uses 60mm piping but the design was changed up a bit from the originals. The flange also has a 3d contour to help with flow around the wastegate port.

-Derrick

Comment

Shweeet!Can't wait till I receive mine.

Comment

in the middle of install ,did you guys reuse the gasket between the downpipe and blower?

Comment

I used a new one, but you could probably get away with reusing one

NW MAZDAS

Comment

CRRRAAPPP!!My gasket is japanese fresh!I could'nt wait and pulled it!! I'm now in the process of buttoning up the manifold to the head,I took off the coplete mani/turbo.FRAAKK!! we'll see if this works this way,I think it might,everything is nice and snug.Hoboy.

Comment

dam,what do you guys think?put the gasket in?they are not made of the same material,it might leak.I don't know what to do.sheeett.

Comment

well swapped in the gasket in.mucho easier to wrench on with the csport pipe in place,I got some photois of the carnage,i'll post(hopefully) later.
                        Thanks,Nickz

Comment

Be prepared to revisit fuel maps and boost control...

Comment

I actually thuink Iam going to back to gtrecu ,beat on it on cooll days.I so pussy foot this crapile its lame on my current tune.

Comment

A quick followup for them that wanna do this upgrade. Besides watching for overboost and knock and AFR's and EGT's, you need to go oldschool and read your sparkplugs, *frequently*. If you see a bit of a whitish powdery looking coating on the center electrode, that's detonation. My plugs showed just a little bit of that from the first test drive. There were no audio clues, no hints of anything wrong at all, but if I'd been any more of a savage on the drive home, it prolly woulda punched holes in pistons. The next day, I fixed the comms issue with the ECU and added fuel across the board and then put it in autotune mode. It decided that this new DP made it such that the engine needed 10-12% more fuel under boost... and this was with a fuel map that had been conservatively rich before. YMMV, having an airflow meter and stock ECU may make this change much less drastic, but if you've unplugged the rest of the intake and exhaust, getting rid of the toiletplumbing dp for this new one is a significant enough change that you risk a blown engine. So before testdrive, dial boost back by 10psi, add 10%more gas, and tune from there. The reduction in lag alone is worth the price tag.

Comment

Working...
                              X