Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit a curb with my 2001 Protege ... OUCH ...need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit a curb with my 2001 Protege ... OUCH ...need some advice.

So it snowed, got icy, and I hit a curb with my RF wheel. After the impact the steering wheel was vibrating and the alignment was off. The (stock black steel) rim was bent up pretty badly.

I got the rim replaced at the dealership today (ouch...$$$) and now the vibration's gone. The alignment is still off (pulling to the right).

I'm worried that if I take it in for an alignment, and tell them that I curbed it, that they'll start replacing front end parts that don't need to be replaced. Is there any way I can tell if I've bent anything important? (nothing looks bent to me but....I'm not a mechanic)

I'm thinking of just taking it in and saying "do an alignment" and then seeing if THEY tell me that anything's bent first, before I tell them I curbed it.

Here's pics if that helps... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mazda Matt; 02-28-2004, 08:06 PM.

What speed was the impact with the curb? This happened to my brother a few years ago and the only thing that was needed was alignment work (and a replacement steelie). He figures he was about 20 to 30 km/h at impact (10 to 20 mph), and it was an angle that glanced off the curb.
    Try pie. Try.

Comment

Originally posted by multipath
      He figures he was about 20 to 30 km/h at impact (10 to 20 mph), and it was an angle that glanced off the curb.
      That pretty much describes what happened to me. I was turning left from a stop, but the road I was turning onto had a downward slope. So I was kinda sideways and slid into the curb almost parallel to it. The speed was definitely in the 20-30 km/h range.

What really sucked is that I couldn't do anything. Brakes weren't doing anything and neither was the gas. I just had to watch my baby slide into the curb and hope for the best.

Thanks..your reply makes me optimistic about the repairs!

Comment

Looking that the pics, it doesn't look like there's any damage to your suspension.

I would take it to a mechanic and ask for an alignment. If everything goes away after that, then good. You should be fine.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Exact same thing happened to me 3 wks after I bought my car last Nov.
          Had the wheel replaced and a realignment, everything's been fine since...
          '03 Sunlight Silver ES/5sp
          THUNDER 4-1 RACING HEADER
          Racing Beat Exhaust, SPD Racing SRI
          Eibach Pro-kit, MP3 ECU, MP3 Foot Pedals
          Powdercoated stockers wrapped in Yoko AVS ES100s
          Kartboy SS/Knob/Bushings

Comment

Well thanks for the replies. I'm starting to calm down a bit. I'll probably take it in for an alignment next week and then go from there. Hopefully I'll be lucky and she'll still drive like she used to.

Comment

Working...
            X