Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323 purchase advice?

Hey!

I'm looking at buying a 1989 mercury tracer (same as a 323: unless you can educate me about the more important differences).
    It's claimed to have 70,000 original miles (it IS a 6 digit odometer, right? I'll see if it's still turning over too!), they want $800. They just did brakes and a cv axle (big whoop, but it's something), and it needs tires (maybe $400 for cheapies?).

That's all I know until I see it tomorrow evening.
    What I want from you guys is, what are some common conditions and weak points in this car?

I have not been a car guy for long; just 2 years. I own a 1989 mercury colony park (crown vic): entirely different vehicle. I know all about the "panther" chassis now and what to look for, and have since helped buy two more.

I want to know what to look for/ where to look for common problems, or expensive problems, in this car; and if you'd recommend it?
    I want a fuel efficient highway commuting car, which my 4000# 302 cubic inch wagon is definitely not (18mpg averaged). If I mod it for some speed later... well, I might end up doing so, if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg for heads and injectors and whatever is most effective for some HP on these. Another month/ another thread.
    Just need to know if I should buy this.

Hey, by the way, I was browsing rockauto for a sense of parts availability, and parts cost. Seemed OK for alot of parts, until I noticed the idle air control valve: what is UP with $440?!? An idle air control valve for my grand marquis is $40-$80, and $80 is for ford OE/ motorcraft. Hopefully they never go bad, ever, at that price?

thanks for the advice!
    I might have a tracer tomorrow night if it checks out :-)
    And in the market for turbos next month, haha.

Oh, and, is getting to stuff a shadetree mechanic's nightmare? I have memories of helping a friend do a mere alternator on his passat, and another friend do a steering pump on his lexus, and another friend do an alternator on his saab... some of those accessories can be like a blacksmith's puzzle to get out and in again and the lines/wires/belts hooked up again....

Comment

if it has the 1.6, and the crank pulley has even the slightest wobble to it at idle, run away.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

if it's solid body buy it,you will definately not feel manly nor super hero.but who gives a ...., it may bother you after a while seeing a sea of vehicles that could crush you or have a wheel that costs more than your car.eff em.Oh, and no turbo please.

Comment

Not a bad car...easy to work on. One plus is the drive train from a 91-94 Capri XR2 will bolt right in.

Comment

Working...
          X