Catalytic Converter Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic Converter Removal

ok some of the boys around my place r telling me to take aut my catlic converter for a better performance well i thought i would ask the protege guys here does ithelp with perforance? and if so what kinda gain am i looking at.... thanks for the help?

Yes it will help, alot!
    Are we talking both or just one?

But your car will be very loud, you wont pass inspection, its illegal, your bumper and tail pipe will be covered in the sut that would normaly get absorbed by the cat.

Youll throw a check engine light so what ever power you would have gained would be gone in a few minutes, unless you start breaking out some resistors.

Comment

my understanding was that so long as you had 1 cat converter, you wouldn't be rediculously loud and could still pass emission tests.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
        Yes it will help, alot!
        Are we talking both or just one?

But your car will be very loud, you wont pass inspection, its illegal, your bumper and tail pipe will be covered in the sut that would normaly get absorbed by the cat.

Youll throw a check engine light so what ever power you would have gained would be gone in a few minutes, unless you start breaking out some resistors.
        its just got i cat and it looks like the cherrybomb so i was just going to put a piece of pipe in the place of it.how will it throw the check engine lite on? and why would i lose power after a few minitues?

Comment

just get a high flow cat and say legal.
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

There are 2 sensors around each cat to make sure that they are doing there job.
            One tells how much stuff is going into the cat the other gives how much comes out.

The check engine light comes on when the car sees that the cat is no doing anything, or in your case not there.
            If the car trows a checkengine light the car goes into protect mode kindof. It retards the timing and does other things that cut power and increase reliability.

A high flow cat is the way to go.

Comment

I removed both of my cats sometime ago. It does trigger a check engine light, makes the car freaking loud!! As for performance there is not much difference. I find that I have more low end, but nothing worthwhile. Don't do it!

Comment

ok heres the thing it got i cat on it and it looks like the cherrybomb theres no sensors around the front or rear its just like a regular pipe but its the cat. also whats low end tork?

Comment

low end power homie, 0-60 and i cant answer the o2 sensor question,
                  According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

ok i just want to know if it will make me lose power by taking the cat out cause he says this: "Youll throw a check engine light so what ever power you would have gained would be gone in a few minutes, unless you start breaking out some resistors." Huh so would i gain or lose power by taking my cat out ? plz let me know!

Comment

and theres only 1 cat not 2, i live in canada! and it looks almost like the cherrybomb muffler. so would i lose or gain power

Comment

in the states there are 2 cats are you much have both to reguardless if it will pass an emmissions test with only one, by only having one you have modified you emmission for the worse and won't pass inspection, you may have 2 hiflow cats and thats fine, you can remove the resonator if you wish, since its just another form of a muffler.
                        '02 classic red p5
                        currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

I took my cat out and burned all the honey comb out of it and put it back on and it sounds good and i can feel a differents... When you see whats in a cat you will be like how can the air go through it there is so much **** in it....
                          Ratrod

Comment

ok but will my check engine lite come on if i take the cat off? if so how abouts will i bypass that problem?

Comment

dont know i burn the honeycomb out of it and then put it back on n0 the light dont come on
                              Ratrod

Comment

Working...
                              X