Question for you 3rd genners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you 3rd genners

I went to look at a used '02 P5 over the weekend. It was in pretty good shape, had quite a few rock chips on the front end, though. Part of the lower bumper was cracked, too.

When I took it for a drive, the shifter felt pretty notchy. It wasn't the stock shift knob, so it could have very well been a short throw shifter in there (the previous owner had done a few things to it, maybe didn't take it off)? I just wondered if you guys think you have a notchy shifter?

As for the car, I really liked the ride. The handling was freaking spectacular, there were a few real tight twisties I was owning, like 45 around a 15mph curve. My little sis was enjoying herself. Body roll was almost non-existant. One thing I was really disapointed with though was the engine. I had expected it to be on par with my '90 LX, but it felt like there were a lot of flat spots through the rev range. Once past 5500-6000 it seems to die. The clutch was also pretty spongy when I did some hard shifts, it didn't want to grab right away.

I'm not looking for a street-racer mobile, so speed isn't really an issue for me, but I was expecting a little bit more go. Other than that, I really liked the car. Come May I think I'll be looking pretty hard for one
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

I would say, don't buy a car from a modder.

Get one from some ol lady that just takes the car from her garage to work and back home.
    The car will be in better shape and have less problems.

That is how I got my 95 protege in 97.
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I know that when I installed my ss the shifts did feel real notchy. But I got used to it real fast and realized that it was much more accurate. I tried driving my friends stock 99 DX and the shifts felt real loose like it almost wasn't even engaging. About the clutch, it could be showing some wear already. If the car is from someone who has installed a ss then you can bet he has put some hard driving on the clutch. And from experience the stock clutches aren't too great. My pressure plate was completely smooth when we pulled it out last night. And that is only with 36k which I bet this P5 is close to on miles. But yeah the handling owns, especially if you decide to lower it in the future and change out the struts.

Comment

Well I wouldn't call him a hardcore 'modder', but it's the little things that you notice... Like the shift knob was different, it had an aftermarket HU in it, and there were some BIG battery terminal connectors.

I'm assuming it was a STS now. There is one at a dealer up here I might try and take a look at, but I hate those high-pressure dealers. We'll see.

The car had 33k on it, that would suck if the clutch was starting to go already
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

It could very well be the clutch because my car only has 36k on it and the pressure plate is completely gone. And trying to shift quickly and it will only rev was the first sign on my car when it was going out.

Comment

Originally posted by Proto2k
            About the clutch, it could be showing some wear already. If the car is from someone who has installed a ss then you can bet he has put some hard driving on the clutch.
            How does a clutch wear out at 30K? One has to really abuse the car. There are people doing 200k on earlier gens with the oem clutch. As Bruce said, I wouldn't buy a car that has "minor" mods done to it. Modifications most often mean that the car has been abused to some extent......and if the mods were done by a 16 year old in his garage, expect a failure sooner or later. Good luck on your search!
            -------------------------
            '91 LX
            '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
            -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
            well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

My clutch is still good, but the pressure plate is jacked. I just went ahead and replaced the entire assembly for the future turbo project. That way I wouldn't have to do this twice.

Comment

ahh yes memories... I was driving my car home from the college like 2 years ago and we couldnt figure out why my car smelled funny... and why it took us 5 minutes to get to 70 on the highway... it was horrible.... then we parked at my friends house and tried to put trans fluid in it cuz we thought that might be it.. so we spent 30 minutes looking for the resovoir... then we remembered standards dont have those lol.... but yea it tore up my pressure plate and something else... ended up costing ~800 for it to get fixed... wee that was a fun one... ok im done rambling

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
                  ahh yes memories... I was driving my car home from the college like 2 years ago and we couldnt figure out why my car smelled funny... and why it took us 5 minutes to get to 70 on the highway... it was horrible.... then we parked at my friends house and tried to put trans fluid in it cuz we thought that might be it.. so we spent 30 minutes looking for the resovoir... then we remembered standards dont have those lol.... but yea it tore up my pressure plate and something else... ended up costing ~800 for it to get fixed... wee that was a fun one... ok im done rambling
                  Well at least those rims should fit fine on your 3rd gen

Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

cams and a good clutch and flywheel help it out a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X