Automatic shift knob replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic shift knob replacement?

I have a Automatic 2002 Protege5. I want to change the shift knob and relocate the overdrive button. I took out the front 2 screws but the shift knob will not come up. I do not want to pull too hard and cause myself a headache or end up paying the dealer a butt load of $$$ to fix my screw up. has anyone removed theirs and if so whats involved? Thanks for any help. Here is the one I am looking at getting.

I am also thinking about getting a shift boot so the shift knob dosen't look to out of place with the stock shift stalk.

Please do not post how I am trying to make my ride look like a manual. I am not. I just think it will look better with the shift knob sitting on the boot as opposed to the stock stalk.
    Check out my car here!!

check out this thread-Automagic

BTW.. There are a lot of people who have auto and want to get rid of that nasty stock shifter. I also wanted to see if the shifter you plan on using works b/c I want to do the same mod.

Comment

yay i have that boot... I like it alot.. the only thing is I wish it was a big more soft and not so sturdy if that makes since. lol

Comment

pain

removing the shifter requires you to take the console out (not too hard), because your O/D button has a line running into the shifter coming from behind your dash. I tried to take the O/D button out but wasn't sure how to do it and ended up not having the time to do it. But if you do take the console out and remove the shifter, remember the order the parts go in and their correct installation. That could have saves me tons of time. But I guess I learned my lesson! But let me know if you find any replacements, because I hate the stock shifter too, I wish I wasn't lazy and had sprung for the 5spd, but hey, I'm American right? I have every right to be lazy!
        Rock it and Roll it
        2002 Protege ES

Comment

I won one night off of E-bay man.....I'm looking for a boot as well...mine isnt as big as yours....Good Luck.....lol I will be having fun myself in a few days!
          "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

The reason I got the automatic is because my wife dosen't know how to drive stick.
            Check out my car here!!

Comment

LOL!!! I just got a good deal on my car and i took it! Plus i have a lil gurl and I'm constantly handing her stuff! LOL! Makes it easier on me! Im just for sho no gogo!

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

i'm gonna be replacing mine with the Razo RA91 once they're off back-order on sounddomain.
                ATx isn't bad.. i actually can't get MTx in my car without doing some untested mods... the car wasn't made for people my height... my knees hug the steering wheel WAY too much when i have to have both feet on the pedals

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Well, I got the shift knob off and here's what I found. Every knob we carry wont fit over the shifter rod. I dont have a drill press to bore out the hole either or a 11/16" drill bit either. What knobs are u guys getting that fit or is everyone drilling out the knobs to get them to fit?

Thanks
                  Check out my car here!!

Comment

So are you saying that the ichibahn knob pictured above won't fit? The only knobs I have seen are the automatic momo shift knobs and they don't fit that well either people have to modify them as well. Maybe the RAZO o/d ones but they sit up way to tall. The thing that sucks is that both shiftknobs are expensive as hell the momo is about $90 and the Razo's are like $110-$120
                    here is a pic of the shiftknobs.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Subghetto; 03-05-2004, 06:43 PM.

Comment

and razo
                      Attached Files

Comment

thats my favorite one but its so damn expensive
                        My OLD Car

Comment

We ran into a problem when installing last night. We got the shifter knob on fine and we could engage the gears fine, but when it came to getting the key out we couldn't.? So I am trying to figure out what to do. It has to be down far enough to engage the gears, but high enough to get the key out when i have it in park...I don't want to slam it in park to get the key out...anybody else run into this problem.....?

Comment

which knob are u using mazdachic?
                            Check out my car here!!

Comment

It looks like this one here not the same brand but the exact look.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X