Funk's 98 LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funk's 98 LX

Hey everyone, wanted to introduce myself and my latest acquisition, a 98 Protege LX. Got the car for almost nothing from the original owner, 115k, 5 speed, excellent interior, moonroof and typical New England rust on the suspension, subframe, exhaust and crossmember. Surprisingly, not a spot of rust on any of the body panels.

Plans are to make it a fun commuter, I also own an '09 Mazda5 which is extremely fun for a "minivan". Here's what I have in store:

15x7 TRM C1 in silver with an offset of 30
    205/50-15 Dunlop Direzza DZ101 tires
    H&R Sport springs
    KYB GR2 struts all around
    Addco 19mm rear sway bar
    Exedy clutch
    New tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints.
    Depower the steering rack (Manual steering FTW!)

I purchased some KBS Frame Coater (Good stuff) and coated the all the front suspension components after prepping them. The front subframe looks better than new and will most likely outlast the rest of the car!

Pulled the trans, pulled both upper and lower oil pans and replaced the rear main seal which was leaking ever so slightly. I plan on trying to get another 100k out of this thing! The only problem I've run into so far is a broken EGR bolt. I got the remainder of the stud out a little with some heat but it's not going any further,

I'll post up the rest of the pictures as I make progress.......I need to address this broken EGR bolt while the trans is out, otherwise I don't really have enough room to effectively get the rest out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	protege.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	1269263

nice and Clean...welcome..

Comment

Damn, that body looks to be in pristine condition. ****ing jealous. Should be great after the modifications, and driving without power steering is quite easy in this car since it's so light (at least compared to a 1998 Dodge Caravan ). I want to get the AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, should make the car more tail happy along with some Ksport coilovers.

Sounds like you've got yourself a great start and you know what you're after. Good luck and have fun with the modifications. I'll be here watching the progress with envy

Comment

Made a little bit of progress today, removed the power steering pump, reservoir and hoses, also removed the alternator as I'm sending it out with the starter to be rebuilt, hoping they can beef up the alternator for a little more amperage. If not does anyone know of a plug and play alternator from another Mazda that puts out more current than the stock protege unit?

That broken EGR bolt refuses to come out any further, I saw sears has some stud removers I may have to try them. So far I've tried PB Blaster, heat (MAP + Oxygen torch), I've tried two nuts with red loctite tightened together on the exposed threads........this thing is in there and I really don't want to pull the intake manifold to get it out. I'm itching to get it back on the road and that broken bolt is the only thing keeping me from putting the trans back in.

Here's a shot of the front subframe, engine support and sway bar painted with KBS Frame Coater.

Name:	2012-09-14 15.45.48.jpg
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	1233543

Bye bye power steering junk!

Name:	2012-09-14 15.46.56.jpg
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	1233544

In its place, I purchase an adjustable idler (used) from a Miata, plug and play and lets me keep my air conditioning. Just needs a new pulley ($20). These things are no longer made by Mazda and are becoming rare, if you need one check your salvage yards.

Name:	2012-09-14 15.46.39.jpg
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	1233545

Here are the TRM C1 wheels I'll be sporting. I wanted something stock looking and also lightweight. 13lbs for the wheels, 20 for the tires, not too bad considering they were pretty cheap.

Name:	2012-09-14 15.47.43.jpg
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1233546

Here's my resurfaced flywheel, new pilot bearing just waiting for it's friends clutch disc and pressure plate to join him. Stupid EGR bolt!

Name:	2012-09-14 15.46.11.jpg
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	1233547

Probably won't be able to work on it again until late next week............

Comment

I think BG guys use either the Millenia or 626 alternator as an upgrade, but I don't know if it'll mount up for us BH people.

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
            I think BG guys use either the Millenia or 626 alternator as an upgrade, but I don't know if it'll mount up for us BH people.
            Thanks, I'll see what I can dig up.

Comment

It's a mx3 v6 alt we use. It's 90 instead of 60. Made a great improvement.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

MX3 1.8 v6, and the 93-97 mx6/626/probe 2.5 v6 alternators.

The v6 alts use a ribbed belt, and I think your crank pulley is setup for that...so no issues there. I'd compare the pulley size to verify they are different (really doubt they would be). Just beware if you do end up swapping pullies, say from damage...there are 2 different diameter alternator shafts and the pulleys will not interchange from one another.
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                  MX3 1.8 v6, and the 93-97 mx6/626/probe 2.5 v6 alternators.

The v6 alts use a ribbed belt, and I think your crank pulley is setup for that...so no issues there. I'd compare the pulley size to verify they are different (really doubt they would be). Just beware if you do end up swapping pullies, say from damage...there are 2 different diameter alternator shafts and the pulleys will not interchange from one another.
                  Thanks very much for the info! I've been researching this all night, I did notice that the V6 pulleys are a 5 groove design whereas the Protege uses a 4 groove belt. Not sure if it would make a difference having an unused groove on the pulley.......might be a little concerned about the belt jumping around, causing damage to itself. I was looking into what it would take to swap the pulleys but if the shaft diameter is different that idea is out. Thanks again, going to sleep on it.

Comment

After digging around a bit more, there's an 80amp unit for a 4cyl 626 from NAPA. Comes in two brands; Bosch with a 12 month warranty and NAPA New Electric with a lifetime warranty. I'm thinking the 626 (4cyl) alternator should work with a nice 15amp boost, comes with a 4 groove pulley just like the Protege. I don't see why it wouldn't mount up perfectly, if nothing else I should be able to exchange if it doesn't fit.

Comment

Okay, just getting to the waterpump and timing belt since I had another surgery on my leg recently. I was under the impression that the Z5 only had a single cam shaft pulley and that the DOHCs were driven by a chain or something. My Z5 has two camshaft pulleys and that's not what the chiltons manual says it should have. Anyone?

Thanks

Comment

Contact 3ni_tricksta (I think that's how he spells it). He had his Z5 rebuilt and I'm pretty sure it had the dual cam gear head instead of the chain head.

Comment

Everything back together and it won't idle, 99% sure I'm a tooth off on the cam gears........this two cam gear/pulley setup is very difficult to align correctly since my shop manual says nothing about this later design, not even the Mazda manual says anything about it. Also, there are no timing marks on the timing cover or back plate so I'm going to have to pull everything apart and see what I can come up with. It's dark out but I'll take some pics tomorrow of the car with the 1.3" H&R lowering springs and TRM C1 wheels. I like it.

Also, the car will run if I keep on the gas so I took it for a little ride and the converted steering rack (power to manual) is perfect!

FUNK

Comment

super clean example sir!!!
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Okay, as thought, the car was a tooth off on the intake cam. All is good now, runs nice, I even installed a heated seat kit, a necessity up here in Maine for the winter for a skinny guy like me.

I'm still having a couple of issues. The transmission is hard to shift into 1st and 2nd gear. I filled it with Redline MT-90, I've used MTL before with excellent results in a Honda but I don't think the trans in the Mazda likes the Redline stuff. First I thought maybe I had air in the clutch system, I've bled it like crazy with nothing but fluid coming out and the same results. I adjusted the free-play in the clutch pedal with the same results, it warmed up yesterday and I noticed it was shifting into first much easier then this morning, right back to hard to shift. Is there something I'm missing with this tranny? Does it not like the MT-90? Anything you'd recommend? The manual states I can use either a GL4 or GL5 fluid..........wondering if I should make the switch to Synchromesh. FYI before the clutch job it shifted very smooth but I did install a short shifter although it doesn't matter how slowly I change gears, still hard to get into first at a stop and second when down shifting.

Also, I'm getting a clunk from the front in turns when I hit the slightest bump, I suspect it might be the steering rack bushings but can't be sure. All of my subframe bolts are tight to spec, control arm bolts are good, new ball joints, new end links front and rear and new sway bar bushings front and rear. Any suggestions or common issues? Clunk wasn't there before I did all the work.

Overall I really like this little car. Considering the lower tech suspension, it really outhandles my old Civic Si by a long shot although understandably the power is down significantly but I'm impressed with the low end grunt from the minuscule 1.5L.
                              Last edited by funktional; 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X