Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They murdered my Protoge 1997 !!

Hi there

I need some help with a bad situation please !

The story is long and arduous, but to sum it up..my car was taken for repairs (actually to remedy a problem caused by another main dealership that had given up it's franchise ). The car was not repaired and has been back to the dealership four or five times more for them to attempt to resolve the problem (engine oil leak) Anyway...after they had carried out the initial work which was still under extended warranty, they said that they had found a washer in the oil pan. They said that they did not really know what it was and that they would probably have to take the engine apart to locate where it went.
    The told us that they had informed the extended warranty providers for us "in the event of a future problem" they also said that they had put the washer in the glove compartment.

This was back in October of last year. The warranty ran out at the end of that month. Yesterday while driving home after depressing the clutch we heard a clunking sound and because we were only about a mile from the house we nursed the car home and arranged for it to be towed to a local garage. The garage has just advised us that the problem was that the flywheel was hitting the engine block and causing the noise and was a result of the "thrust washer" not being replaced on the car. They further said that the dealship should not have let us drive the car away with the washer missing as this would cause obvious problems.

Please can anyone help with the following questions ?

Is this an accurate assessment ?
    Should the dealership have advised us ?
    Who is liable for the repair.... the oil leak still persists

Update today : They are now saying that they checked at the time and they noted that there was no "play" there. They say that this absolves them of any culpability. My argument is still that they are the experts and should have advised us that there could be irrepairable damage to the car. The oil leak question is no longer relevant as the engine is dead although I believe that the money we paid should be returned as they were liable for the work.

that's more of a legal question than a technical automotive one.
    got a lawyer friend? ask him/her.

personally, I say they should reimburse you as they neglected to do their job properly and advise you of the imminent dangers you were to face...
    although it won't be easy to get money out of a dealership that no longer exists.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
      that's more of a legal question than a technical automotive one.
      got a lawyer friend? ask him/her.

personally, I say they should reimburse you as they neglected to do their job properly and advise you of the imminent dangers you were to face...
      although it won't be easy to get money out of a dealership that no longer exists.

Thanks for the response.

The technical part of the question was whether the dealership had given an accurate assessment of the problem. Also I guess, should the thrust washer have worn on a 1997 model ?

I have since heard that, if it was in the oil pan, then it might not even be a thrust washer and could have originated in the engine . Now that is really bad news. I think the arguments are irrelevant as they did not advise us that there would be a problem. The dealership that found the washer is still in business.

Comment

Had the thrust washer (bearing) not been reinstalled back in October, you would not have been able to drive the car home. The thrust bearing essentiall keeps the crank from "walking" back and forth in the main journal bores.
        -Kevin
        -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
        -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
        -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
        -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
        -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

I would also say,
          get a lwyer.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by kcbhiw
            Had the thrust washer (bearing) not been reinstalled back in October, you would not have been able to drive the car home. The thrust bearing essentiall keeps the crank from "walking" back and forth in the main journal bores.
            Where is that located on our car? Is that the bearing inside the flywheel?
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Oh yeah, it's spelled PROTEGE!!!

Hehe, sorry to be an anus, but this is an "enthusiasts club", can't let that slip
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                Oh yeah, it's spelled PROTEGE!!!

Hehe, sorry to be an anus, but this is an "enthusiasts club", can't let that slip
                Kewl Charles.

What a stupid mistake...guess my mind was too focused on all those greenbacks slipping outta my bank account !

Last edited by Tryfyn; 03-03-2004, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X