engine start button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine start button

hey, this is my first post on this forum. i have been wanting an engine start button for my 1st gen protege for a while. i know we can use the s2000 one that fits in the cigarette lighter. my question is, can any push button switch be used? i mean the one for the s2000 looks nice and all, but come on, 50$ for a switch!? you can get a momentary switch from radio shack for 2$. so, for you electronics experts out there, can i use any switch? i know i need a relay also. also, would the switch have to be of any special specifications??

thanks guys.
    94 Protege DX. Custom Intake. Kartboy Short Shifter. Grant GT Steering wheel. Shift knob and boot. Autometer tachometer and air/fuel ratio gauge. Eibach Pro-Kit and Tokico ZX2 Struts. Fog lights. Assorted neon lights. Rebuilt motor.

you can get them off ebay for like 10 bucks and theyre just like s2000 ones
    i is dumb

Comment

Unless the switch is coupled with a high current relay (12v/40amp) a regular 12v switch will NOT work, it will get too hot and melt from the current draw when you start the car if connected directly and could very well melt within the first few seconds you push it for the first time.

Yes, any starter push button can be used.

Comment

yeah like he said dont just get any cheap switch cause it will melt and that could suck
        i is dumb

Comment

yeah, i knew i would need a relay, i just wanted to know if there was anything special about the switch.

thanks guys
          94 Protege DX. Custom Intake. Kartboy Short Shifter. Grant GT Steering wheel. Shift knob and boot. Autometer tachometer and air/fuel ratio gauge. Eibach Pro-Kit and Tokico ZX2 Struts. Fog lights. Assorted neon lights. Rebuilt motor.

Comment

You'll need a relay since a regular 12v switch won't be able to handle that amount of current. Other than that, yea, a regular switch should work.
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
            X