85 Mazda Familia "Sport"?? BF "Process Thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 Mazda Familia "Sport"?? BF "Process Thread"

Process? Yeah Process. It's not really a build log... yet.
    Anyway, They call me Grimmy, Grimlok, Grimski, Dr Grim, and even sometimes A-hole. Lurking for 2 years, Been trying to get my hands on a cancer free project shell for some time now. I've owned 3 BF mazdas before this one, a couple of BDs, (Or KC's or whatever subframe ford call their laser), and the "family car" is a BH. Had most of the B series in pieces over the last 17 years, from my BDs and BFs, thru to an exe's BG I did a BPT conversion in. Personally always liked the BF though... Enough intoductions, I'm sure you will see, I talk a lil crap, like a lil smoke, and think a cold beer tastes best at 5pm. Refuse to pay someone to do something I know I can do myself with the help of google, and ain't afraid to get stuck in... So... Let's get into it.

1985 BF5P Mazda Familia, With amusing factory "Sport" decals either side. I still have no idea what the "Sport" part actually means, especially with an E5 carb and 3 speed slushbox. I think it means "Top rear lip, and leather steeringwheel", cus apart from that, it's no different to the last E3 5 speed, 5 door hatch I had.

These are all the pics that were up on the auction before I brought her.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1269344Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1269345Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 3.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1269346Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 4.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1269347Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 5.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1269348Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 6.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1269349Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 7.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1269350Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 8.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1269351Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 9.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1269352Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 10.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1269353Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 11.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1269354Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 12.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1269355Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 13.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1269356Click image for larger version

Name:	maz 14.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1269357

99% cancer free, Windshield needed replacing, small 1/4" hole bubbling thru behind it, so out with the sandblaster and mig and into it I went. I wish I had pics of the cancer behind the windshield, but I was starting to get over it for the day "Just fuggin fill the hole and let's get some paint on it so it cures and I can get the new glass in" type moment. She also had a leaky strut in the left rear. But I've owned 3 other BFs (All 4 door hatches), and still have the last one as a Parts Car, So swapped that out while wating for the RTV in the windshield to go off. Also swapped on the GTX grill I've had waiting for a couple of years.

Windshield done, Leaky strut sorted. Thru her 6 monthly Warrant Of Fitness without drama or suprises.
    I've used the same tester for my w.o.f's for the last 17 years, So he knows me pretty well, will let the odd small thing slide "I'll pass it, I should make you do that and that before I pass it, But I know you will do it" type guy. I work at the local Indoor Karting Facility, with 24/7 access to a workshop most grease monkeys dream of. So working on her is going to be pretty easy.

left to do for now...
    Couple of small spots of cancer in the bottom of both doors, (Only 2 doors to worry about, and after chasing cancer in the bottom of the 4 doors, there is enough room to swing a cat inside these ones) Some ripples that need heatin' and freakin', and realign the front bumper and left guard.

I'm pretty sure she's had an arguement with a parking facility at some point down the left hand side, The ripples in the door skin, and in the sil/guard behind it, as well as the front guard and bumper being pushed back all point to a glancing blow to that side of her.

Then a Regun in Ford's fleet vehicle stock white, It's prolly not a 100% paint match, But it's close enough, and the boss has a heap of it left over from a fleet respray he did a couple of years ago. Finish it off with a metal flake/glitter thru the clear, just to make it a lil different. Dump it down on Jamex low springs (Not super low, this is my daily afterall) Wrap the lights and glass in 35% tint, swap the front calipers out for the 22v versions, do the master cylinder swap, rear disks if I can find them. Then it's time to do the engine bay.

This is where I've come to a complete stop. I'm not sure weather to squish the v6 in there and work my way thru all the fab work, or just dump and FE in there and be done with it. KL's can be picked up here for around $500nzd with loom, ecu, and gearbox, And the FE's your looking at around $1000nzd with loom, ecu, box etc.

The FE is pretty minor work compared to the KL, and by the time you factor custom outer halfshafts, Radiator, either tranny piping or hydro clutch, your prolly speaking the same sorta costs all up. AND the KL-ZE does sound pretty epic in a small car. To quote my boss "You really wanna make that ford v8 in the lane next to you at the lights panic and wonder why your 85 mazda is pulling away from his $30,000 car? Go the v6"

I've read ALL the FE and KL swaps here, seems there's no definitive answer, or point of reference inside the enginebay. Decided my best bet is to take a laser level of the inner h/shafts and where they sit, and position the new motor/box accordingly, then move/make up mounts to fit. I'm already gonna be messing around with custom shafts, better to get the motor and box perfect before even taking h/shaft measurements.

Anyway, That's where I'm at for now.... almost everyone seems to be doing the K swap with a manual 5 speed box. Any real major dramas doing it with the matching auto box outta the GE chassis? I see a member here has done it to the BG, any reason it's going to be difficult for me? I'm over changing gears in my daily, I have racekarts and motox bikes with gearboxes to play with when I really feel the need to change gears. :-)

Sub'd
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Looking forward to following this build.
      My Hiroshima Screamer

Comment

Thanks guys. Must stress, This ain't a build log just yet. Firm believer that until your posting pics of your process your just throwing ideas around and blowing hot air.

Didn't really get alot done today, Did manage to blow all the remaining sand outta the vents on the way to work this morning, After I had already cleaned up the sandblasting mess in the rest of the car. (Well done Grim... Moron)

Also started on a quick and nasty wiring mod in my glass switches...
        Passenger BG glass switch in a bf. Loom is the same. Just had to cut out an extra 40mm in the doorcard for it to drop in.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0115.JPG
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1233826
        Apologies for the crappy phone pic. I'll have a better camera when I get into the real stuff. Pretty sure everyone knows what a BG vs a BF window switch looks like anyway. Like exactly the same, but newer looking, with white writing, not oldskool 80s yellow/orange, and 40mm longer. The passenger side isn't really a mod, It's the driver's side that gets interestin'.

Ever wished your roof glass could be controlled without sticking your finger in the air like a child asking to go to the bathroom in school? Me too. I'm stuffing a 4 door master glass switch in the drivers door. Front two switches deal to glass as normal, rear 2 switches will run parallel to the tilt and slide switches in the roof. BINGO! No more looking like a 7 year old in traffic.

I'll post pics of the minor loom mod etc as I start running it. As well as all the steps required just incase anyone is interested in doing this mod (And you should be, cus who reeeeally wants to wave their hands in the air while driving, and here at least 4 door glass switches are cheaper than the 2 door ones.)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Grimlok; 10-13-2012, 07:11 AM. Reason: STUPID interwebs! Resizing pics, Sorry guys :-)

Comment

Welcome. I like your ideas.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Been a lil while. The exact reason I dislike "Build" or "Worklogs" is all those knuckle busting, throwing of tools, repeated swearing moments etc.

Couple minor setbacks, don't really have a local PAP, instead I'm just on a first name basis with pretty much the only local yard that has parts for anything older than '92. Sadly, When he doesn't have what I'm after, the search can take a lil longer.

Still tracking down a 4door BG master glass switch to control the roof glass.

Refusing to spend any money on a Stereo just yet, I have plans, but in the mean time I just threw the headunit outta a later model 626, a jap band expander, some cheap 6.5" in the rear factory spots, and some ugly looking and sounding (Yet already in there) 4" sony 2-ways in the dash.

All later factory mazda head units I've seen 89-01 are fitted with a 16pin CN connector. This is where the stacker/seperate CD player/Tape deck connects. With a lil bit d#$kwiring this connector can be used as a line in for a 3.5mm stereo jack, a lil bit more creative wiring will let you connect an older Alpine m-bus stacker. But I just wanted a line in for my (not so)smart fone.

While I was at it, I added a LM7805 5v rectifier IC, a couple of smoothing caps, and a USB port. Pics to follow of my pretty unpainted headunit surround with USB charge and Aux in.

Currently chasing a parasitic load that flattens the battery in about 48 hours, that has only just apeared in the last 2 weeks, I thought the battery was sick, and was just jump pack starting it...

But I've swapped the battery out, and I'm still killing the battery leaving the car to sit over the weekend, annnnd new acid and a trickle charge has shown there is nothing wrong with the first battery.

Located a motor and tranny. Not in the best condition, but the price is right ($0)
            Pics to follow.

Comment

Quick pic of my Head unit surround...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098.jpg
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1234002

Still trying to find what is draining the battery, Narrowed it down to something on the interior lighting fuse.
              I suspect it's in the map lights. That's the next thing I'm taking apart anyway.

Comment

good job on adapting the usb. i assume the rocker switch is ti toggle between the aux in and the usb?

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaNoob View Post
                  good job on adapting the usb. i assume the rocker switch is ti toggle between the aux in and the usb?
                  Rocker switch kicks the head unit into "Line in".
                  USB is just a charger socket.

I won't say it's impossible, but I don't like my chances of converting USB data into something the HU can understand. I know there are aftermarket kits that will do it. But if that's the direction I was heading I would just put the coin towards a mechless HU. Which is eventually where I'll end up after I do the math on all the speaker enclosures and get all of them sorted.

Comment

Working...
                  X