Alarm install on a 3rd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm install on a 3rd gen

has anyone done it yet? i build computers and such for a living so im decent with the whoel wiring thing , but i dont know if i trust myself installing an alarm is it hard and is there anything i can screw up? Anyone who has done this?

Thank you

i've done it. there's quite a bit that can go wrong and get screwed up unless you've got a lot of 12 volt experience, i wouldn't try it.

Comment

I agree, but if you decide to take the plunge, click my Vehicle Security FAQ link in my sig below. I have been doing 12V approaching 16 years now, feel free to ask if ya need help.

Comment

ok thanks a lot but i will probably just go get it installed ... it has been sitting in my house for like 4 months now ... and some shop wanted 300 dollars to put it in i thought that was ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Drackonn
          ok thanks a lot but i will probably just go get it installed ... it has been sitting in my house for like 4 months now ... and some shop wanted 300 dollars to put it in i thought that was ridiculous.

remember, you get what you pay for. you could probably find a place to do it for $150-$200, but if you know a good place that you trust, take it there and pay what they ask.

Comment

my friends dad owns a shop he can do it for 50 bucks since its a friend the problem is its a hook up so i get put at the end of the list since he really doesnt get any money from me, the other place never called me back i had to actually go to the shop and catch the guy while he was working to talk to him, so i dont know about them.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
              i've done it. there's quite a bit that can go wrong and get screwed up unless you've got a lot of 12 volt experience, i wouldn't try it.
              What if your car has an alarm, but you wanted to upgrade, are there wire harnesses that "plug" right in? I guess if there is one, you would have to really hide it away to prevent easy alarm disconnects.

I installed my stereo, but never ****ed with alarms. I am with Blue on this one. I would get a professional to do it. I could see how it would be a nightmare should some thing go wrong.
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                What if your car has an alarm, but you wanted to upgrade, are there wire harnesses that "plug" right in? I guess if there is one, you would have to really hide it away to prevent easy alarm disconnects.

I installed my stereo, but never ****ed with alarms. I am with Blue on this one. I would get a professional to do it. I could see how it would be a nightmare should some thing go wrong.

crutchfield has the plug and play alarm harnesses, but i don't think they have one for the pro

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                  crutchfield has the plug and play alarm harnesses, but i don't think they have one for the pro
                  Our luck! Do you realize how long it took before getting an aftermarket wire harness for my 2001 ES?! Good thing I wasn't in any hurry, but after a year of listening to the factory radio, I was shocked that there wasn't a harness made (or at least it was hard to find). I had to order it when it finally came out because no local shops carried them.
                  2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                  KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                  Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                  Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                  X