strut boots/bumpstop reccomended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strut boots/bumpstop reccomended?

i have the ZX2 strut kit and the H&R mx3 spring combo...
    from what i have heard... various sources... saying i won't need them.
    or that they are not needed...
    do they protect the strut shaft from dirt and road grime?
    would it be a worthwhile investment for me to order up a set?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Not needed to function, but sure makes sense, dosen't it? I found dust boots for $5 each at a 4X4 shop. Yes, use the bump stops...the fronts come with them, but ya gotta re-use the rears.

Originally posted by bpt323
    i have the ZX2 strut kit and the H&R mx3 spring combo...
    from what i have heard... various sources... saying i won't need them.
    or that they are not needed...
    do they protect the strut shaft from dirt and road grime?
    would it be a worthwhile investment for me to order up a set?

Comment

i've got a problem
      mine didn't come with the front bumpstops
      i need to call up oem ford about that
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

i've got a problem
        mine didn't come with the front bumpstops
        i need to call up oem ford about that
        Same here. I just modified my stock ones to fit both in the front and rear. As for dust boots, I found some at the local Pepboys. $5 each and fit perfect.
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Yeah, no bumpstops here either. Perhaps it changed more recently.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

so in other words i should ditch out on the platinum + 4's andget some ngk copper??

how much does a set cost?

Comment

err.. placed in the wrong spot... scratch that last post...

anyway... will i be wanting to use bumpstops and dustboots or are they one in the same? im kinda lost on all of this

Comment

so in other words i should ditch out on the platinum + 4's andget some ngk copper??

how much does a set cost?
                Lol, I got kyb bump stops/boots in one from www.tirerack.com. Just had to modify the hole to fit over the thicker shaft.
                James G.
                sobe83@yahoo.com
                AIM: DVS 323BPT
                MySpace
                Cardomain
                <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

What are bumpstops?
                  ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMarauder
                    What are bumpstops?
                    Thick peices of rubber about an inch tall that go around the shaft of the stop so it doesnt bottom out. Bump stop is on the right, the actual bump stop is on top of the accordian boot.

James G.
                    sobe83@yahoo.com
                    MySpace
                    Cardomain
                    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

Oh ok. I'd be afraid NOT to have 'em if I was lowered at all... Thanks for explanation
                      ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

so without the bumpstops does it make a bang kinda after going over a bump?? cuz i didn't install the bumpstops as mine were tore up or not there before. Would it kinda feel like the struts are out...

Comment

I have the kyb ones pictured up there, with h&r springs (proteges) and when I hit a pot hole its actually pretty smooth. So I'd have to say no on the "bang".
                          James G.
                          sobe83@yahoo.com
                          MySpace
                          Cardomain
                          <BR>

Comment

You should install bumpstops and dustboots. Although dustboots aren't necessary, for the cost of them I'd install them. Bumpstops are necessary and I wouldn't install without them.

For the record, I installed the ZX2 dampers and Susp. Tech. springs last April and re-used the stock bumpstops (ZX2 kit didn't come with any) and bought all kinds of new miscellanious pieces (upper and lower spring perch insulators, dust boots, thrust bearings).
                            My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                            - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

well after runnign all over hell in my area and finding out that only the local 4x4 shop has anything close to what im looking for dissapointed me. but.... the only thing they did have was shock covers... which would have to be secured on both ends and wouldnt have any bumpstop effect to them.

****ty.
                              i thought about it and then said **** it. i might as well do it right.

2 day shipment from tirerack.
                              $56 for all 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X