Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Noise / Phenomenon on Startup

Hey all,

So I've been developing a strange noise/phenomenon on my B6T swap lately that I'd like to decipher. When completely cold on first startup and second startup, she'll stall almost instantly after barely attempting to idle. After a short drive down my block, I'll put the clutch in and she'll die almost instantly. After that slightly-driven stall, it'll be almost impossible to start for several cranks - like 7-9. After those several cranks, she'll barely idle very low and eventually come to life. However, when she does come to life... it makes a strange blubbering noise that is similar to what noise you make when you blubber your lips with a finger in front. That brbrbrbrbbrbrbr noise. Sometimes, it'll go away when the car warms up... but often the blubbering sticks around, which drops my power and makes the car considerably harder to drive. Any ideas on what's going on here? Thanks everyone,

Aaron

PS - I have hood vents, which could be contributing as water occasionally gets into the spark plug holes. Working on a solution to that but this issue seems somewhat separate to it all.

Quick update... one of my spark plug wires is disintegrating. I can visually see a spark shooting out of the wire every 1/2 second. As such, I'll take another vehicle up to the parts store and get some new wires! Hopefully this is the only issue, but maybe there's something else going on. It's strange to me that the noise disappears and the car's power is restored when it warms up half of the time...

Comment

New spark plug wires, no problemo.

Comment

As the water in the plug wells evaporates you may find it runs better as well. You best solve that issue as well. These engines are very rough on plugwires without hoodvents letting water onto them..
        '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
        X