Dual exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual exhaust?

I've always liked the way dual exhaust pipes look, and it seems to me there might be some practical value to having them: I like my exhaust being quiet, but if I had two relatively small pipes it could stay quiet and still have a higher flow system. A while back I heard someone say that having the dual exhaust on a 4-cyl engine actually causes more harm than good.

Would there be any harm/benefit to having this system?

Personally I think it's stupid to have dual exhaust on a 4cyl. They belong on a V8. That's just my opinion though.

I don't know if it would harm your car in any way. The only downside I can think of is added weight that you don't really need. I can't see any possible benefit other than it looking "mad tyte yo."

I really think you would be better off with a nice catback style exhaust. Not all of them are annoyingly loud, but I have no idea what your choices are with a 3rd gen.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Ya, I heard from somewhere that it would hurt the performance but I don't know.

IMO, I think it'll look ugly on a pro.

Comment

I just thought it might be a good compromise between noise and power... if not, then I can't justify spending money on it to look m4d tyt3 y0... although I was really hoping I could

Comment

i was wonderin about it too ut then when body kit tyme comes there is almost no choice for the rear, theres my 2 cents dont spend it all in one place

Comment

it hurts because of the extra piping bleeds off more thermal energy than you want, and also the added weight.

Also keep in mind that unlike a V8, you'll have to go from 4 down into one, and then split it off again to get back to 2.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

im pretty sure you lose torque from doing it dont quote me on that though

Comment

ive heard a lot of people say itll hurt performance because it decreases back pressure, which is designed to help with low end torque.
                2002.5 protege dx

Comment

both of the last posts are false...

it won't lose torque if you design it correctly.

and it wont decrease backpressure if you design it correctly.

moreover, backpressure is BAD. ALWAYS.
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

after reading the post from JesseSays, i decided to find out why packpressure is bad. i came across this thread from here and i think its good reading for those of you who dont know a whole lot about exhaust like me, and want to learn.
                    2002.5 protege dx

Comment

also check the tech articles section of THIS forum

-93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

yea jesse that article hurted my brain too many big words for a big dummy like me but im sure alot of other peeps got it

Comment

ok well thank you for disproving the loss of torque thing i had heard it somewhere but didnt know if it was true or not.

Comment

I have dual exhaust on my 1.6L pro. and its alllll for looks. feels quicker than the stock piping though soon to add a high flow cat probably to make it a true catback. right now the stock cat is still there.

Comment

That input was definately worth the 5 month wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X