Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Bearing Support Plate

Hey,

I'm trying to replace my Rod bearings- got the oil pan off no problem- but I'm stuck on the Main Bearing Support Plate! Any one have a clue how to pry this thing off??!?! I've been prying at it for about 3 days now and it barely budges. I have all the bolts out (to my knowledge), but it does not want to come off. Is there some kind of chemical spray I can use to break down the silicone gasket stuff?
    DO I need to remove the transmission?
    I was looking online at a service manual- but it didn't seem to have anything on the bottom end???
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

your plate may have two M6 10mm head bolts that are accessible through the rubber plugs in the bottom of the transmission . You may have to spin the flywheel to access the bolts
    98 protege lx 1.8l
    short ram intake custom
    crane hi-6 ign.
    14 miata alloy wheels
    .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

So do I need to remove the transmission first?

Thanks,

Jason

Comment

If you have the bolts inside there should be two rubber plugs under the transmission where it attaches to the engine . Pull those out and a ten mm socket on a 6 inch 1/4 drive extension will fit up so you don't need to remove the tranny. If you can't get the socket all the way up turn the crankshaft a little to clear the converter, if you have a standard the flywheel will have knotches in it to allow access to the bolts.
        98 protege lx 1.8l
        short ram intake custom
        crane hi-6 ign.
        14 miata alloy wheels

my protege

Comment

hmm.. I don't think I have the same engine as you (or what you are thinking of). There are no rubber plugs in the transmission. Atleast none that are visible without removing some other part. I currently have the oilpan off, as well as the oil pick-up. I could post some pictures if you think that will help?

Thanks,

Jason

Originally posted by kansei
          If you have the bolts inside there should be two rubber plugs under the transmission where it attaches to the engine . Pull those out and a ten mm socket on a 6 inch 1/4 drive extension will fit up so you don't need to remove the tranny. If you can't get the socket all the way up turn the crankshaft a little to clear the converter, if you have a standard the flywheel will have knotches in it to allow access to the bolts.

Comment

What engine do you have ,it could be just stuck on as you said if so there should be a little indent on the front of the plate about 3 inches from the trans that you can put a flat screwdriver in to pry it down they do stick on very good . If you have a pic post it and I'll tell you for sure.Its hard to keep all the different Mazda setups in my head without seeing them.
            98 protege lx 1.8l
            short ram intake custom
            crane hi-6 ign.
            14 miata alloy wheels

my protege

Comment

OK, I have attached the pictures of the plate. One shows the pry slot (like you mentioned). I've tried and tried to pry this thing off, but it doesn't move very readily. I have a engine manual coming in the mail this week, so maybe I'll see something in there that will help. However, I have a feeling that there are some locator studs in the transmission- and that I will have to remove the transmission a little to get the MBSP off. What do you think?

Thanks,

Jason
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kansei
                What engine do you have ,it could be just stuck on as you said if so there should be a little indent on the front of the plate about 3 inches from the trans that you can put a flat screwdriver in to pry it down they do stick on very good . If you have a pic post it and I'll tell you for sure.Its hard to keep all the different Mazda setups in my head without seeing them.
                Sorry, forgot to mention,
                I have a 3rd gen- 1.8L (FS Motor). And it has the 5 spd manual- F-type tranny.

-Jason

Comment

the two hidden bolts I spoke of are directly behind the two long parts of the plate and are in the bellhousing with access holes . I checked an 2003 auto FS today and Mazda has removed the access holes so you have to remove the trans to get at them. I'm not sure when they changed it . I thought the 1.8 FP had them .
                  98 protege lx 1.8l
                  short ram intake custom
                  crane hi-6 ign.
                  14 miata alloy wheels

my protege

Comment

I had suspected that. I guess I'll add a new clutch to my list of things to do while I've got everything apart.
                    Thanks for your help.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why are you replacing the rod bearings? Did a set crap out on you? If so, have fun polishing the journal with the crank still in the car.
                      -Kevin
                      -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                      -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                      -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                      -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                      -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Its a long story.... but YES, they are on their way out- I don't know the extint of the damage yet, but we'll find out next week. A friend of mine who checked the car out said I may be able to get by with only changing the bearings since it doesn't seem like there is much damage (you can wiggle the rods just slightly on the 1 and 3 cyliders). I may have to get a little more work done, but I won't be able to tell untill I get everything apart.
                        It'll be fun, I'm sure.
                        I won't be racing this car anytime soon.

-Jason
                        Last edited by jas00x; 03-17-2004, 07:34 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by jas00x
                          Its a long story.... but YES, they are on their way out- I don't know the extint of the damage yet, but we'll find out next week. A friend of mine who checked the car out said I may be able to get by with only changing the bearings since it doesn't seem like there is much damage (you can wiggle the rods just slightly on the 1 and 3 cyliders). I may have to get a little more work done, but I won't be able to tell untill I get everything apart.
                          It'll be fun, I'm sure.
                          I won't be racing this car anytime soon.

-Jason
                          Even if there is the slightest bit of damage, you should have the crankshaft polished (at a minimum). It may be better to have the crank ground and use oversized bearings. If you use the crank as it is now with new bearings, chances are it won't last long and at the worst, you could sling a rod. I'd recommend pulling the engine and rebuilding the bottom end (which doesn't require removal of the head).
                          -Kevin

Comment

Any updates?

Also, I assume you're getting parts from MMS. It's certainly great to be a racer, eh? Be sure to keep your results up to date.
                            -Kevin

Comment

Help finding torque specs!!

OK- I got the rod bearings off yesterday. The #3 rod had a little play in it and the rod bearing was begining to show signs of wear. Looks like I caught it just in time. The other bearings just had a little bit of really light scuffing (kinda shiney). The crank looked/felt perfect- so I jsut replaced the bearings.

Now I can't seem to find any torque specs for reassembly!!! The manual that I have online doesn't cover anything on the bottom end of the engine. Any links to torque specs for ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS-
                              Rod end caps, main bearing support plate, oil pick-up, and oil pan.

Thanks,

Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X