Are my brakes not stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my brakes not stock?

So I'm confused because my Chilton car manual says to raise & support securely, remove wheel then unfasten brake caliper. I've done all this, but the next step is to simply "pull the rotor from the hub." For my car (1986 323) the manual doesn't even mention removing the locknut, which I have done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotor1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1269707

The above photo shows where I'm stuck at. Banging on the shiny part doesn't make it come off. HELP! Also the caliper has 18V and Y a little bit lower indented on it, if that could help identify it.
    1986 Mazda 323 1.6L SOHC

whoa! that looks like a captured rotor design..... you'll need the BF guys to chime in on this one.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

IIRC, the stock BF rotors are bolted to the back of the hub. Have I mentioned how much I hate Chilton lately?
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Throw that thing in the ash can. You have 3 options. 1 just slap new pads on and run with it. 2 find a shop that will turn the rotors on the car and then slap on new pad?s. 3 you will need to disassemble the hub assembly..bolt on new rotors..you will need to put in new bearings and seals then slap on new pads..also keeping the bearing spacer with each hub.

Comment

What he said.. I've used a slide hammer to pull the hub off... I hate stock BF brakes. One of my cars is converted to 4wd Protege brakes and another one is getting the galant upgrade before it's running.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
          1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
          1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
          1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
          1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

I think you will find the galant upgrade to be worth the 6 bills.
            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Those rotors don't look to bad. I would just throw on some new pads for now and decide what you want do. A quick 20.00 fix.

Comment

I made a mistake guys; I was bangin on it with a hammer in an attempt to remove it (weeks ago), since I was trying to follow the manual. Do I even have to replace the pads?

Name:	1.31-2.jpg
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1234613

Name:	1.31-4.jpg
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1234614

Name:	1.31-5.jpg
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	1234615

It's most likely the rear drum brakes that need fixing, so if these brakes don't need immediate fixing, **** em, I'll just reassemble and move on to removing the drums. I would just like to know how to take off the fronts. Is it just a matter of finding bolts to remove on the other side?
                1986 Mazda 323 1.6L SOHC

Comment

Weird.. I don't remember my hubs looking like that before I went to BG hubs. Is there a difference between the 86-87 and 88-89 maybe?

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

same thing

Comment

Originally posted by DeeAOne View Post
                      Weird.. I don't remember my hubs looking like that before I went to BG hubs. Is there a difference between the 86-87 and 88-89 maybe?
                      Did you install BG hubs all around?

What mods are required to do the swap?

Comment

Originally posted by c.lozer View Post
                        I made a mistake guys; I was bangin on it with a hammer in an attempt to remove it (weeks ago), since I was trying to follow the manual. Do I even have to replace the pads?

It's most likely the rear drum brakes that need fixing, so if these brakes don't need immediate fixing, **** em, I'll just reassemble and move on to removing the drums. I would just like to know how to take off the fronts. Is it just a matter of finding bolts to remove on the other side?
                        You've ****ed the rotor now... You "could" put it back together but you might end up with noise/vibration issues while braking... The reality though is to suck it up and finish the job properly...

Comment

Those are stock rotors. As CrazyCanadian mentioned you have ruined the rotor by hammering on them. Mine were very easy to remove and replace:

Comment

Nice rotors! @slownrusty which one is that? And I assume it fits with factory BF GTX calipers?

Comment

Working...
                            X