OEM Exhuast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Exhuast

hey i was wondering how well the factory exhaust flows and i was also wondering what the inlet size is for the muffler. would a muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet fit?

it can be done at any muffler shop pretty easily or if u have access to a mandrel bender and a welder u can do it ur self like me. its fairly easy
    i is dumb

Comment

thats not what i asked but thanks anyway

Comment

thats the anser to the second question
        would a muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet fit?
        i is dumb

Comment

Originally posted by BMW ///MPOWER
          hey i was wondering how well the factory exhaust flows and i was also wondering what the inlet size is for the muffler. would a muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet fit?
          As with most factory systems, the exhaust is a little bit restrictive. You have the 1.8L, right? If you wanted to go all out, you could probably get 2" piping with mandrel bends.

I don't know about the muffler. The stock piping is nowhere near 2.5", but I don't know if that's how inlet size works.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

uh, the stock cat-back piping on the 3rd gen ES is 2" (this answers BMW's question about muffler inlet size)

you can check out racing beat's specs of their cat-back system for what they did to open up the exhaust a bit.

IMO the stock exhaust on the 3rd gen is OK for a stock exhaust (ie not ridiculously restrictive)

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
              uh, the stock cat-back piping on the 3rd gen ES is 2" (this answers BMW's question about muffler inlet size)

you can check out racing beat's specs of their cat-back system for what they did to open up the exhaust a bit.

IMO the stock exhaust on the 3rd gen is OK for a stock exhaust (ie not ridiculously restrictive)

yep, it's 2". if you are going to upgrade pipe size, i went with 2.25" after cat back custom bent piping, and it's got a nice rumble to it. it doesn't have that bees trapped in a tin can sound like many hondas. 2.5" would be better for low boost applications, and 3" for high boost. the muffler with a 2.5" inlet will fit, with an adapter, to the stock piping.

Comment

so i cant put a muffler with a 2.5" inlet on my factory tubing wich is 2", damn i just wanted a a new muffler untill i can make my custon header back system.

Comment

so i cant put a muffler with a 2.5" inlet on my factory tubing wich is 2", damn i just wanted a a new muffler untill i can make my custon header back system.
                  Originally posted by blue LEDz
                  the muffler with a 2.5" inlet will fit, with an adapter, to the stock piping.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

be warned that using stock piping with a large diameter muffler will give you more of a bumble bee effect.

Comment

I know there are tons of the axle back set ups for the 3rd gens. I am surprised you haven't jumped on that yet.

I personally won't do a custom axle back weld system.. I can't stand them .. The welds that these companies do are garbage and are very porous from them not cleaning the pipes and then welding.

Just buy a bolt on axle back system, and bolt it up..
                      Maybe one of the 3rd gen guys can run down a list of them for you...

later
                      bruce
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

aight thanks, i was planning on making a custom 3" exhuast system myself because we made one for my freinds elipse gsx(runs 12's by the way and he has only spent 3k total on the car and the parts)without much hasle. i know you want greater delta pressure in your exhuaast system but would you guys maybe recommend a different size(considering these engines dont flow that much)?

Comment

instead of us arbitrarily recommending a pipe size, why don't you go to Racing Beat's website (www.racingbeat.com) and READ up on what the specs are on their cat-back system, and come up with your own conclusion how wide the pipe should be.

oh, and uh, can you lay off on the backhand sarcasm on the Proteges when you ask questions.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

aight thanks. what sarcasm?

Comment

Working...
                            X