Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ES vs SE front brakes?

hey guys,

i need new front brakes, and i want to convert my front brakes to the ES front brakes

what is the difference?
    just the rotors and pads, or the calipers also..?

anything else?

thanks

Yes, its everything. Pads, rotors which are inch larger in diameter, calipers, and what not.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

you will need the whole spindle..
      brake lines are the same ..
      might as well change the ball joints while your at it.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

now is the wheel bearing part of the spindle?
        what exactly does the spindle include (component wise)

-rotor
        -pads
        -caliper
        -hub
        -??

Comment

The spindle, is what everything including the rotor and the calipers is mounted onto. I am also not sure if the 1.8L has a different front sway bar or not. If the sway bar is mounted to the spindle, it might have different locations for 1.5 and 1.8 engines, but I am not 100% sure on that one. Pretty much, you have to find a totaled ES (US) or LX(Canada) model, and take all of the components right off of it. And do the rear drum to disc swap as well. All you need then is master cylinder, which hopefully should be still on the car your taking things from, and place it on your car. Overall, projects like this are a major pain in the center of gravity, because you have to have the parts that work, if one piece does not fit, the rest won't fit either. Very picky, if you as me, so you have to always get the right parts.
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

ok !
            here is some info..

1st.. I am going to refer to the American protege's as follows .. Canadian cars confuse me at times (no offense but it is easier) ..

ok here we go
            1st ..
            the 1st gen protege 90-94 and 2nd gen protege 95-98 front sway bar mounts to the A-arm. You don't have to worry about this being on the spindle.

2nd ..
            You will need the hub(aka spindle) to swap the front components.
            The hub from a 90-94 protege with the BP dohc motor can be installed on the 95-98 protege with the 1.5L motor. (the 1.8L already has the bigger brakes)

things you will need from donor car.
            - the entire spindle with caliper and rotor.
            - note - some companies won't sell you the caliper. Here is a trick, just go to autozone and trade in the 1.5L calipers and get rebuilt 1.8L calipers. Now your allset
            - you can grab the brake lines if that makes you sleep better at night, but you don't need them.
            - you may as well change the wheel bearing and the ball joint while you have the hub/spindle out the donor car.

It is a really simple swap. You shouldn't have any complications with it.
            Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

now, if in the future i plan on swapping to the G25 MR
              will this 1.8L spindle be able to accept the axle's from the g tranny?

Comment

yes it would.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

The spindles , bearings and hubs are the same, the pads and rotors are different and the calipers will have a "14" stamped on them and the 1.5 calipers are stamped "13". The ES/LX(can) calipers are to big to clear the 13 wheels so they were stamped to use with 14 wheels. The rear disc set up used a different spindle but if i'm not mistaken the hub is the same. The handbrake on the 4 disc will require the cables , master cyl and valve(on firewall) so the lines may be also be different.
                  98 protege lx 1.8l
                  short ram intake custom
                  crane hi-6 ign.
                  14 miata alloy wheels
                  .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

I still have to check what you were telling me about the front discs. If that works.. that's going to be crazy lol..

but as for the rear discs. I never changed the master cylnder or the p.v.
                    but I did change the brake cables.
                    Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ok, so i need new pads rotors and calipers for the front
                      i do NOT need to buy an actual spindle, i could just grab those individual parts and ensure that the caliper has a 14 printed on it

correct?

Comment

also, bruce...

i remember that you were having problems even after you did the swap, with your brakes

could it be because you didnt swap the MC or the PV?

Comment

no, I just bled the brakes again .. and everything worked itself out.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

what improvements have you noticed with the 4 wheel discs?

my rear drums actually are pretty good
                            they grab well

Comment

Yo, I got 2 BRAND ****ING NEW rotors that I've had for a couple years They're so new, they haven't seen the light of day since they were put in the box at the factory. If you do this brake swap, I might be willing to let them go for say 30 bucks a piece. These are the good ones too, not the crappy made in China cheap bastard rotors.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                              X