car alarm install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car alarm install

I have been looking into buying a car alarm/remote start/keyless entry system. I have a 99' auto protege LX with no keyless entry. I was looking at kits like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33724 My question is how hard is it to install this type of alarm? I have computer/general electronics experience, but I do not have much experience working with cars. If I were to get instructions do you think I would be able to install it myself? Also, how much do places charge on average for an install?

never heard of that alarm. If you haven't much experience working on cars, an alarm is a tricky thing to install, and IMO would leave it up to the experts. I installed all of my equipment, but when it comes to an alarm, I will leave that for the experts. Expect to pay around $200-250 for installation which includes wiring every thing, shock sensor, door relays, trunk relay, and parking light flash. Anything extra that the alarm may have may bump it up more depending on what it is that you want it to do.
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

for $85 i'd expect something to go wrong. wholesale cost on mine was $200, and retail was about double that, if not more, and after 2 years it had problems and it was properly wired by me. i have a lot of experience with wiring cars, but it was still a PITA. i wouldn't recomend it to the average person. it's worth spending the money to have it professionally done, so if they do mess something up, THEY have to fix it and there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. Thats a bummer. I am on a tight budget so I was hoping it wouldnt be too hard. I called best buy and they charge $199 for car alarm/remote start/keyless entry and $150 for car alarm/keyless entry. Im thinking it may be a good idea to go to a place that will do a free install if you buy it from them.

Comment

be carefull, that could come around and bite you in the butt. I've never seen a Best Buy or Circuit City solder wires in and loom them all nice and hidden...they T-Tap and rats nest the wires in there as fast as they can.

Look over my Vehicle Security FAQ (link in my sig below) and see if it's something you're able to handle. With the correct instructions and tools and most of all patience, you can get it done in a weekend. A typical pro would spend about 4-5 hours installing an alarm/RS combo.

Comment

Working...
          X