Think this truck could tow a Protege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think this truck could tow a Protege?

I'm guessing it's a 22R... bulletproof 4-cyl motor. EFI is a plus, probably uses way less gas than any of the carb'd Ford trucks I'm gonna find in this price range.

I think I'll just donate my old Protege to charity, take the current one off insurance (since it's not running and isn't gonna be smog legal anyway) and use a truck like that as a daily driver / tow vehicle.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Hrrrrm, I wouldn't tow a car with anything less than a 6 cylinder, I guess it depends how many hills your gonna go up. Going down hills will be a scary ride with that little truck, It will lift the rear bed and actually push you down the hill. I would say no

Comment

Should be ok. Pro's weigh about 2500-3000lbs. Most trucks should have that tow rating. Heck even a subaru has a 2500lb tow rating. Just make sure you keep it out of Over drive and make sure you're breaks are up to par.
      2003 Protege5
      Midnight Blue MTX
      2002 Protege LX
      Black Mica MTX

Comment

Originally posted by jlanger
        Should be ok. Pro's weigh about 2500-3000lbs. Most trucks should have that tow rating. Heck even a subaru has a 2500lb tow rating. Just make sure you keep it out of Over drive and make sure you're breaks are up to par.

I wouldnt trust it to do very well, I know my 2 trucks 302 f250 V8 and a 3500 dually 350 V8 Say they can pull well over 3000 but they have problems going up hills with 4000 pounds of landscaping equipment. They will do it fine. But they have double the cylinders and are Stick shifts with a low gear that maxes at 5mph. As i said before going and stopping are 2 different things with weight on the back, Ive been pushed down hills plenty of times with the brakes smoking like they are on fire Esp the Pickup F250. The smallest i would go to tow my car would prob be the 4.3 liter V6 chevy s10 pickup. But I live in CT where its all mountains. If your on Flat land its a new ballgame. Jon

Comment

I've also read about towing with my Volvo. It has a capacity of about 3300lbs. Supposedly it's ok as long as you stay out of overdrive. Of course I would need a trailer with electric brakes, there is no way you could stop down a hill without that. It would be slow as hell uphill, but in the really steep hills there are always extra lanes for slow vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
            I've also read about towing with my Volvo. It has a capacity of about 3300lbs. Supposedly it's ok as long as you stay out of overdrive. Of course I would need a trailer with electric brakes, there is no way you could stop down a hill without that. It would be slow as hell uphill, but in the really steep hills there are always extra lanes for slow vehicles.

My trailor use to have brakes, Untill they locked up one afternoon at 50 mph, I cut the line and just use the trucks brakes now. Are yoiu getting an actually trailor or a dolly?

Comment

I don't know... this is all just a thought right now

Comment

yeah cant say i would try and tow a car with a little 4 banger toyota, but its up to you man.
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

jdm xterra comes with a sr20vet. but thats something else.... there are also 4cyl 4wd toyotas.
                  BLAZE RED 93 GS
                  2004 G35 Coupe w/Brembo package
                  MY 93 MR2 TURBO

Comment

heck my dad used to pull an old pickup bed trailer with a Ford Fairmont and later a Tempo, this bed trailer was from a 63 chevy an had to wiegh nearly as much as a dang protege. I think that you shoudl be able to two a protege withouth to much worry just make sure that you're brakes are up to par and to keep it out of overdrive. You won't most likely be able to get to highway speeds but you shoudl be ok.
                    I've even seen my uncle pull a full chopper box of wet silage with a measly dodge 318, mind you couldn't go over 30 mph but that load must have weighed more then a couple of tons.
                    2003 Protege5
                    Midnight Blue MTX
                    2002 Protege LX
                    Black Mica MTX

Comment

i towed a jetta once with my kia doing 65mph for a 30 minute trip. it had no problems with hills and ****, although florida is pretty damn flat to begin with.
                      find it, **** it, forget it

Comment

Working...
                      X