gauge installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gauge installation

I have very little experience working with cars, but I know some basic electronics. I want to get some nice new reverse gauges, but I do not want to spend lots of money to get them installed. Where can I find a tutorial or some info about this?

DONT DO IT YOURSELF! buy them from an aftermarket dealer and have them install them. If you try to do it you will for sure break needles and have to spend 300 on a new cluster. Have someone else install them that gaurantees there work so that they can be liable.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

how much does it usually cost? I do not want to pay a bill for some new gauges.

Comment

if you buy them from a dealer theyll prolly charge 20 dollars to install. Im serious man, i think everyone on this board that has installed there own gauges has broken needles, including me, i have to fill up my tank when the damn low fuel light comes on.
        The best advice ive gotten, if you do choose to install, is to use butter knifes and be sure to lift STRAIGHT UP
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

The thing is, I cant get em on ebay for around $25 but if I go to a dealer it will probably cost more like $50 + the $20 for installation. right?

Comment

do you have a 3rd gen

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

99' protege LX auto transmission

Comment

if your very careful you can do it using 2 butterknifes but just realize youve been warned, be sure to pull straight up, if you pull too hard to one of the sides your out 300 dollars for a new cluster.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

that's a bitch! I appreciate the word of caution and I will make my decision based on that.

Comment

I bought these

but I was looking at these

and wondering...it says "NO NEEDLES NEED TO BE REMOVED FOR FASTER INSTALLATION". Is this different than the one above? Would this second one be less risky to install?

Comment

hmmmm...ill believe it when i see it.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I imagine you still run the risk of breaking the needles. Is this correct?

And.. does anyone have good instructions for installing gauges?

Comment

here is a thread on broken gauge needles, hey, go up to search, type in gauges and read through all the threads, i remember there being a step by step but i dont know where it is.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Check with Negatize for the tutorial.

Comment

thanx greg, heres the tutorial for the lighting, and removal of the cluster.

as for the removal of the needles, all you have is the word...use what i told you about the butterknives and say your prayers before you start.
                              Last edited by Kelly; 03-08-2004, 03:49 PM.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X