Which muffler??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which muffler??

I want to buy a Apex n1 muffler. But im not sure weather i want to buy the (na) one or the (turbo) one. My car currently does not have a turbo, but it might in the future. Should i get the turbo muffler with 115mm tip or go with the na one?? And if i bought the turbo one would it make any difference, and will the sound be the same as the 90mm muffler??

thanks

Well with a muffler, only difference you'll probably see is the sound difference. I dunno anything bout the difference between turbo and N/A mufflers. But if you want performance gains, you'll need to get a catback. For a N/A motor, at most you'll want 2.25 in exhaust piping, while if your turbocharged, you may want 2.5 in or maybe even 3 in piping. There also maybe a different sound with different size tips however it may not be much. Maybe lower pitch or maybe higher. I wouldn't know, so you might have to ask someone who has tried the different sizes.
    Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Like Torped0 said, it does not matter. Turbocharged cars would be better off with better flowing exhaust, but the muffler alone would not show you any gains. You need bigger headers and all the reast of piping with large diameter to see good gains.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

the "turbo" exhaust means nothing, just a label. doesn't do much for flow, maybe a straighter pipe, thats all. you have a 1.5, like what was mentioned earlier, get a 2.25 piping to your exhaust (that get you more top end, but you might lost a lil bit of torque. if you do that, make sure your inlet to your exhaust is also 2.25, don't bottle neck down to a 2" or its pointless. To get your car repiped, it'll cost an extra 100$ at most.

are you going for preformance, looks, sound? you have a 1.5l. stock 92 hp. where do you want to realistically take it?

btw. larger tip = deeper sound. my suggestion to you, don't get a rattle can muffler.
        Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
        FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
        Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

magnaflow

ive got a magnaflow system that has a low, deep sound

Comment

Originally posted by 97LXZ5
            ive got a magnaflow system that has a low, deep sound
            How does it sound in the car? Is it loud, too loud??? Also, do you have an auto or stick. I have an auto, and with a canister type muffler, it was obnoxious. I took it off and put the stock back on.
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by Project323
              the "turbo" exhaust means nothing, just a label.

Actually, before the riceage, a "turbo" muffler was a stright-through muffler design. Nowadays it's just a way to make a buck off of people's ignorance.
              Current Cars
              2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
              1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
              1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
              1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

I had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler on mine before the BPT swap. It sounded good, a little more melow but not obnoxious or ricey. I recommend it.
                Current Cars
                2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Working...
                X