Joining the club!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining the club!

Hey, just thought I'd say "hello" to my fellow Protege owners. I registered a while ago and finally got around to actually looking at this place. I suppose you all want specs on the car, right?
    She's a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 that is (unfortunately) stock. I'd like to fix that, and I've been thinking about an Injen cold air intake with an HKS exhaust system as a first step into the tuning world. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Devman
    "Life is either a comedy or it's not worth living."

Welcome to the forum!

The Injen CAI and many exhausts have been discussed before...I'd suggest doing a search and you'll find plenty of answers.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I did a search and that's what I came up with, I was just confirming what it said. It's also been the consensus around here as to what to start out with among my tuning friends. However, I didn't see a comparison between an SRI and the "modified" stock intake, but people have been having good results with the modifications. What sort of power difference are we talking with a true SRI versus the modded intake?

Devman
      "Life is either a comedy or it's not worth living."

Comment

First off, welcome to the club.
        2nd, I really like the way the HKS looks & sounds. I didn;t get it, though bcuz they don't make one for the sedan. I just added the Racing Beat (Mazdaspeed) exhaust. I like the way it looks & sounds. If you're thinking of the HKS "Hi-power" exhaust, I think that's axle back only, also.
        You're not really gonna get much of a gain, but I can tell you this, since I added the exhaust and modified the stock intake, there is a marked difference in the revs--the engine is pulling much better thru the gears, and smoother. Also at lower rpms (like 1500), I can coast in traffic with the clutch out and the car doesn't 'buck'. I would definitely recommend this mod--it's made the car a lot more fun to drive, plus, it sounds nice too!
        '03 Sunlight Silver ES/5sp
        THUNDER 4-1 RACING HEADER
        Racing Beat Exhaust, SPD Racing SRI
        Eibach Pro-kit, MP3 ECU, MP3 Foot Pedals
        Powdercoated stockers wrapped in Yoko AVS ES100s
        Kartboy SS/Knob/Bushings

Comment

Working...
        X