Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marc's Sooty v2.0 - Autozam AZ-3 B5ZET

Hey all,

Picked up this AZ-3 last month and have been putting the hours in since. Plan is to have a car somewhat economical but with power when I want it. I've put about a months worth of pics and posts into this thread now, so sorry about the bandwidth attack!

Bought condition/stats:
    1.5 DOHC B5ZE
    79k miles
    Drum rear brakes
    Jspec dash
    No sunroof
    Chronic paint work - washed with gravel!
    Virtually no underbody rust :-D
    Leaky exhaust
    Windscreen cracked
    Aerial filled in badly
    Crap aerial installed on roof

The eagle has landed:

Unexpected surprise, I think it developed during transit.

Got annoyed with my stainless exhaust not being in sections, had to take off subframe from old car to get it off!

Washed with bricks? :lol:

Rear shot, exhaust installed! Those terrible bump strips will be tackled!

Front bumper madness, just going to bin that one and replace with my old one.

My new home for mechanical madness.
    Last edited by marco; 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM.
    AZ-3 1498cc B5ZET! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
    Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
    View Worklog

Had some more time today to start working loose the rear subframe.

What a pleasure working on the mechanics of this car! All the bolts in the process of rear subframe removal came off without heat, violence or cutting Even the caged nuts on the body attachment of the trailing arms came off. Also I see this car has the cool trailing arms too. All loosened up ready for my refurbed and poly bushed subframe to go on. BUT I need to recover some rear disc handbrake cables first from the old car.

Funky interior pics:

My refurbed subframe with wytbushings/polybushes has been installed complete with disc conversion. I HATE drum brakes! Had to swap over the v6 handbrake cables too. Gave them a clean up too. Loads of things have been painted with POR-15 and hammerite.

Waiting for a replacement DS caliper to arrive, my bleed nipple sheared, then tried using an extractor which also sheared off

I'll have to put up pics of my under side soon, looking good... What a pleasure working on a non rotten car!

I've also phoned up about windscreen replacement £120 new plus vat (plus fitting I guess). £60 for a transplant from the old car. First I have to tackle the roof welding.

So you have a hole, here's what you do:
    fill it with bog roll to catch moisture and encourage rust
    pile in filler several cm thick
    paint

Good job:

Smiley face haha:

Plan is to cut donor section out of old car and weld in. Should be exciting lol

And my other treat isn't so bad, the previous owner who did this needs to be banned from car work!

Looks easy enough to patch in.

Got a nice new bottle of pureshield argon ready for action. Need to pick up some mild steel welding rods and get TIGing.

Will hopefully finish that tomorrow. I've currently got it tacked in place. TIG welders are awesome :-)

I have to say I'm not a fan of bodywork! So tedious.

Welding done.

Etch primed after metal filler

It's pretty close now in terms of finish. I'll hopefully block sand once more, then filler primer, then paint. Can't look worse than it did
    AZ-3 1498cc B5ZET! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
    View Worklog

Comment

Did a bit more sand fill prime today. Still got more to go. Getting those edges flat but curved is the worst bit.

Anyway, whilst waiting between drying I familiarised myself with the engine more.

B6S7 Cams

B551-7 Head

Looks like a BP valve cover... yet smaller!

B6 Pattern exhaust studs

Heads look pretty clean, mileage seems believable! I'm going to change the valve cover gasket after I clean up the valve cover. I'm impressed by the chromed bolts as standard! Next up oil change.
      View Worklog

Comment

Done for now! That was some ordeal. Bodywork is so slow. I'm happy enough. I can't really find the weld anymore

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Both of these have been tackled now, pics to follow, new setup:

-x2 new ball joints (boots were destroyed)
        -x2 new tie rod ends (boots were destroyed)
        -mazda 323f BA lantis v6 spindles
        -mazda 323f BA lantis v6 5 stud hubs
        -mazda 323f BA lantis v6 brakes and discs
        -goodridge SS brake lines
        View Worklog

Comment

Probably going to swap my carbon fibre bonnet over anyway but anyway - before on RHS, after polishing on LHS:

MX3 to 323F BA V6 5 stud
          BEFORE 257mm disc, 54mm piston, 4stud:

AFTER 274mm disc, 57mm piston, 5 stud, goodridge SS brake lines:

Also replaced tie rod ends and ball joints due to split boots.

Windscreen out!

Windscreen in!

Front bumper swapped over with glass headlights, clear sidelights and you can see the polishing has helped this side a lot
          View Worklog

Comment

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Nice MAF system on these, very little restriction compared to the V6 VAF. External IAT sensor too, nifty!

Now with K&N cone filter

Windscreen looks fantastic The seal is really neat, glad I went new.

Also:
            Ran wynns engine cleaner, largely cleared up sticky HLA tick
            New oil filter
            New oil
            New valve cover gasket

Mazdaspeed strut bar installed, plenty of clearance on a 4 cylinder :lol: Kinda forgot I had this! Brightens up the bay a bit.
            View Worklog

Comment

Suffering from the cold today, so haven't been doing anything major. Installed MS strutbrace, refitted interior trims, eunos SS sill plates and then took some photos :arrow:

View Worklog

Comment

The car passed MOT :-) now to register it.

Today's work-

Decat is complete. Not overly attractive but a decent result for being made in between snow flurries :-) 2.5" stainless.
                View Worklog

Comment

This project has been planned as an eco-boost project if that's not a contradiction in terms! Basing it on a civic 1.5 eco project I read about hitting as high as 65MPG, though they have the lean burn advantage.

ANYWAY.... hardware:
                  Evo 8 turbo £60 with only 20k on it!
                  Evo manifold £80
                  Evo downpipe elbow £to be bought
                  B6 flange £18
                  Megasquirt DIYPNP $500

MANIFOLD TIME!
                  Evo 8 manifold compared to B6/B5 flange:

Not quite a match, going to require some chopping!

The scary bit, just destroyed an evo manifold:

I then made slices on the inner 2 runners and bent them in. I had to cut the two outer and remove 1cm of length each side.

Tacked mock up:

Almost done now, I'll maybe finish going round the welds tomorrow.

So that's how I butchered an Evo manifold to fit an mx-3
                  :D :D :D
                  View Worklog

Comment

MANIFOLD COMPLETE!

Now B5/6 shape

I was slightly tempted to sit and port and polish but I just can't be bothered spending hours on a 2bhp gain or whatever. I just worked the obstructive areas were pipe was in the port. It's all either smooth now or oversized exhaust pipe.

I've been battling with a megasquirt problem in between making the manifold. Having bother getting the cam signal conditioned for the MS to understand, until I do can't progress the MS with no RPM.
                    View Worklog

Comment

Lovin the progress so far. I've got some ssr type c for my car too, once all my 5 lug stuff comes in.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Very nice!
                        Team Fail Motorsports

That's just the nature of the beach.

Comment

despite not liking it you have a talent for body work .. nice job

Comment

That car is lucky to have you as her new owner! She was probably screaming bloody murder from the last guy lol.

It's surprising how easily the B5 is mistaken as BP engines...even the JDM importers around here get it wrong!! Check the head stamp...and continue!

Agreed about the improved MAF system on the B5 though, it's the same setup we have for our B6 (doch) AZ3/MX3. Vast improvement over the BP/BPT air flow meters we're all use to lol...shame they never had a factory turbo B-series with that MAF style.
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Awesome thread thus far!! stoked for more updates!
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X