Autoloc vs. local shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autoloc vs. local shop

In a reinforcement of my laziness and forgetfulness, my GF has requested that i stick a keyless/power doorlock entry system into my car.

Option 1: Now from looking at autoloc, I don't know if i'd have to buythis (CDN$260 w/shipping and customs) or this (CDN$185 w/shipping and customs).
    One comes with the keyless system, and the other doesn't (but a keyless system can be hooked up to it).
    I have a car starter with a multi-function remote so i don't think i'd need the CK4000, and the CL4000 would do if i can learn how to hook it up to my car starter.

Option 2: One of the local perf. auto places where i got my windows tinted offered to do my doors for CDN$300 including setting it up with my car starter so i can unlock my doors.

I'm leaning to Option 2 cuz i wanna support to local people.. and it'd be at least 3-4 hours of work for me to disassemble my doors and install and hook up to my car starter.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

What brand/model is your current Remote start unit? If it's pretty recent, it's a pretty sure bet it has the keyless function, just never used since you don't have power doorlocks. So the CL4000 would do ya just fine. No sense having 2 remote now is it...

Adding all 4 doorlocks and running all the wiring is a decent sized project, especially if you've never done it before.

So let's compare... $185 and you do it yourself...will take a full weekend, most likely. Could possibly have trouble, need extra parts, etc...could delay the install. You may also need the little harness plug to plug into the doorlock output port on the remote start unit. Will also need relays and alot of 12 awg wire.

$300 and it's done the same day....if they need a part, it's there at the shop, plus they have done it before...

If you feel confident you can get it done, then DIY, otherwise, pay the shop.

Comment

yeah. i don't feel too comfortable doing it myself.
      i haven't done too much research on it, and it's something i want done sooner than later... car alarm will be coming soon after as well.. (gf's choice)
      my car starter does have the option to open doors, as well as pop the trunk. neither of which are used.
      the shop also offers a lifetime warranty on everything they do.. so it's probably the best bet.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Working...
      X