steering quickener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering quickener?

Is someone ever installed a steering quickener on a BF GTX? I planning on installing one but before hacking the steering column, I would like a little bit more info on how to install it..

thx!
    Suzuki SX4 AWD 6MT 2010 : Daily driver
    Mazda 323 GTX 1988 : Rally Car
    www.ahurateam.com

So I guess no one did this mod.... I'll do a How To when I'm going to do this!
    www.ahurateam.com

Comment

What exactly is a steering quickener? Is it like a suicide knob that's mounted on the steering wheel?
      Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

Here's a basic explanation of what I think he's talking about.

Comment

yes exactly that! It make the car a little bit more like a gokart and make unwanted slides a bit easier to recover in rally racing! I think a 2:1 is a little bit too extreme for our PS pump so I would go to a 1,5:1. It would make 2 turns lock-to-lock for the steering wheel!
          www.ahurateam.com

Comment

That's pretty cool. I might have to do this mod also. I'm looking forward to your write up of how you do yours.
            Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

so first step just arrived!!

www.ahurateam.com

Comment

Cool, I learned something new today!

J.

Comment

man this thing is going to TWITCH @ highway speeds lol...subbin

Comment

Whoa...

Comment

Nice. Wonder how it will work out for you. I have thought about this in the past. All though now running an mx3 gs rack and a small 13" steering wheel I find I have no need for one

Comment

So before I start, I just want to say that if you atempt this mod, it will be illegal as your not supposed to modify or cut a steering column. I do it on my car as it is going to be a rally car with full roll cage and won't be used as a daily driver. Yes It can be more dangerous to have this because it remove the crash zone of the column... In my opinion, it's not worse tant have a straight race column.
                        There is alot of fabrication needed for this mod and it should not be done by someone who just learned welding.

So I started figuring this up yesterday on how I was going to install the quickener while still being able sto swap a stock column if something happen or break during a rally.
                        first thing to do was to cut the end of the column and get the shaft out.

second step was to cut the column to accept the 8 inch long quickener

As I wanted to keep the universal joint on the steering rack untouch to accept another stock column, I had to be creative to attach the stock attachment to my new universal joint.

I used the end of the cutted column to get things straight

this is where I am now with this.

I need to shortened the part after the universal joint as now it move the column too far left.

more updates later!
                        www.ahurateam.com

Comment

Interested to see if you totally overwhelm your steering pump, since I've overwhelmed mine a few times on realy busy stages without any such mod..
                          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

that's why I only used 1.5:1.... in worst case, the pump can be modified to flow more oil...
                            www.ahurateam.com

Comment

update here! I finished it up yesterday night, did all the bracing to support everything. weld up the shaft...

here is what it look like! I'll post a pic once installed.....

www.ahurateam.com

Comment

Working...
                              X