Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to protege, couple of ?s

Hey guys-

I just got a swingin' deal on a 2000 DX. This looks like an awesome board. I really like driving the car so far. I hope to gradually add an injen intake, a catback exhaust, offset gunmetal wheels and suspension upgrades. For now, just a couple quick questions-

There is a constant squeal when the car is rolling. All that matters is that it is rolling, doesn't seem to care what gear it is in, road surface, reverse or forward, etc. The pitch varies with speed. I was getting strange looks from people sitting at coffee places in town today, so definately want to get to the bottom of that.

Also, at low speeds, such as in parallel parking situations, I get a noticable clunk from the trunk area when I get on and off the brakes. Is this normal? Is there something typally wrong that causes this?

Thanks for reading, I look forward to having an awesome Protege and meeting like minded people.

Seth

well thats cool you got a 1.6 pro but those sounds you hear from my experience (which isn't much) doesn't sound normal. i would probably go to a shop and have them take a look at it or maybe some of the guys here might know.
    sigpic
    1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
    1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
    2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

sounds like it could be a breakpad/rotor issue.
      if it doesn't make the noise when you're idle, then it has to be something from the axle outwards... if you can, take off your rims and look around to see how the rotors/pads are sitting..

best idea, bring her to a shop.. an estimate is usually free or dirt cheap

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

if your getting a clunk from your trunk, check out your drums.....could be bad shoes...i took my drums off because of a "squeal" and rear bearing was bad...i took the drum off and the bearing fell to pieces. If your not real mechanically inclined take it to a shop because the rear requires you to take a keyed nut off, and then torque it back to specs.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Welcom to the forum and to the 1.6er's lol!
          "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

don't bother with that injen intake....
            the damn thing keeps giving everyone problems and messing up MAf sensors.
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I seem to be the only person that hasn't had a problem with it.
              sigpic
              1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
              1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
              2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

there is nothing wrong with the injen intake. The MAF is very tricky with the 1.6ers, and a bastard to deal with. But Injen redesigned their intakes so there are no problems any more. I have had mine for ~two years with no problem...
                2000 DX, Blue
                Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
                2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

Would lowering springs for a p5 fit a 03lx? Sorry it's sorta off topic....
                  2003 Mazda Protege LX
                  Laser Blue
                  www.cardomain.com/id/thejackyl
                  Old Car
                  1998 Kia Sephia LS
                  Custom Front Bumper, motegi gunmetal mr7s wrapped in Nitto 450 Xtremes, OBX exhaust, Custom CAI, CUstom interior

Comment

Any springs for any 99-03 protege are interchangable. It's all the same (wonderful!)chassis and wheelbase.
                    2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
                    I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackyl
                      Would lowering springs for a p5 fit a 03lx? Sorry it's sorta off topic....
                      Yes, do a search in the Suspension/Brakes section and you'll find tons of info.

Welcome to the board.
                      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

hey dude welcome i here ur having a problem humm i had a clunking noise in the rear and it was the sway bar end link goes from the swaybar to your strut its a little pole with a bolt on ech end when the break or where out they make a clunk noise almost sounds like you need a new shock there $34.00 cdn at mazda goodluck

Comment

my ebay intake hasnt given me any problems.
                          My OLD Car

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. It turns out that the brakes needed to be gone through. The squeak was the pads' noisemaker, and the rear brakes were way out of spec. It was only a $100 dollar fix with new wiper blades. Now I will be getting the parking lot dings removed, then the modding will start. My next question is what is everyone's thoughts on the Mazsaspeed Protege muffler, and how much should one cost?

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                              don't bother with that injen intake....
                              the damn thing keeps giving everyone problems and messing up MAf sensors.
                              Is that true with the 3rd Gens? I have heard of people's "check engine" lights coming on too. Is that true too?
                              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                              Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                              X