BP Swap Hell...At My Wits End, Someone save me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP Swap Hell...At My Wits End, Someone save me

I ordered yet another "bp" wire harness this past week and got it in...sure enough it was for a 1.5 again. I thought about wiring the thing myself, like Bruce, however i believe the 97-98 wiring is vastly diffrent from the 95-96. I firmly believe modifying a 97-98 1.5l to work with a 1.8l is impossible. They 2 are too diffrent. I must find a 97-98 1.8L harness and i have run out of sources. I beg of anyone, please please, help me find a 97-98 1.8l wire harness. Im looking at you Canada! God save me. Im getting to the point where im going to set my protege a blaze and collect insurance to buy a new car. Im lost and have no where to turn........Someone HELP ME!!
    sigpic

I am going to the local junkyard this weekend. Last time I went there was a 2nd gen there. If it is in fact a 1.8L, I might be able to go back the next day to get the harness for you........
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
      I am going to the local junkyard this weekend. Last time I went there was a 2nd gen there. If it is in fact a 1.8L, I might be able to go back the next day to get the harness for you........
      That would be wonderful... the problem with junkyards is they always want to cut up the harnesses : ( If you do see that its an ES model protege and the wire harnes is uncut let me know cause ill send you the money ASAP
      sigpic

Comment

When your ready to get that car wired up ... let me know.

basically..
        Its the same thing I did.. Just adding 3 wires and changing the plugs on throttle body.
        and disty (have to add a wire there if using the BP disty) and either using the 1.5 CTS or the 1.8CTS with a different plug.

You can get the different plugs from a kia sephia harness.
        just let me know. you could get the car running and then keep on hunting for your 1.8 harness. (canada is a good bet, but I called up there also but not many places).

shoot I could probably drive down there one weekend and help you out if you want.
        later
        bruce

edit.
        <-- 2 wires for maf -- 1 wire for vics -- 1 wire for distributor-->

Can more than likely get the scan of the harness for the 97 to double check ..
        I will email him tonight.
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

there maybe
          i is dumb

Comment

Bruce i know what you mean about the throttle body plugs. the 2 maf plugs and the vics wire but the dizzy on mine are both the same. I guess yours was diffrent for your year model or something... The dizzy that came on my bp is exactly the same as the one that i had on my 1.5l. same plug,same vin number, same everything. Ive already played around with wiring the maf and vics but the fuel rail harness is one of my biggest problems.... Should i use the harness from the 1.5l or somehow make the kia one work? I have no idea! I took them both apart and they are both wired exactly the same except for the vics and the main plug is diffrent.
            sigpic

Comment

Hehe thats me. Im wondering, could I get a Kia harness and salvage the plugs i need off of it.
              sigpic

Comment

You shouldn't have to move any wires on the fuel rail harness plug. It should plug right in. On the block of the BP on the drivers side, you should see to plugs .. Just like the two on the block of my 1.5 pictured below.

Does your BP engine side harness look like this? -- your using a mazda or kia motor right.

Everything should plug up.
                btw: what year is the engine that you are using.
                (I have to search through your posts and find a photo of it brb)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Bruce, Im getting pictures but in the mean time.. No my 1.5L fuel Rail harness is not like that at all. The one for my BP (KIA 96) Has that large black plug on the top however that lower plug isnt there.*Sigh* I knew something wasnt right!
                  Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 03-12-2004, 08:15 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok not a problem ... I can take a high res shot of my harness on my BP and then that way you will know which wires to seperate from the 1.5 single plug.
                    You will have to take the kia plug from the kia harness you got with the car and then wire it up to those wires.

If you pm me your phone number and real name, I can call you in about an hour when I get home. or you can call me .. whichever.. I have free long distance.

ohhh I think I still have the plugs from my BP kia harness.. I am not sure, but I will check

bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

kia harness
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

1.5l fuel rail harness plugs....
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

So I guess the next step will be to see if a 97-98 1.8L fuel rail plug looks like the one from my 1.5L.
                          sigpic

Comment

hey guys.. you should contact aspec concering getting a harness.. they sell them
                            In the Garage
                            Black 93 MX-3 GS
                            Bp powered
                            GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                            MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Originally posted by protegeboy78
                              hey guys.. you should contact aspec concering getting a harness.. they sell them
                              URL? Phone Number?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X