Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of offset is better for handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of offset is better for handling?

Hey

i have a question about offset
    now, im getting 15x6.5 inch rims, and 205/50/15 tires

now this summer im looking to compete in solo 1 and solo 2 autoslolam, but before i get these rims...

what would benefit me more...
    an offset closer to +38 where the tire would stick out....
    or an offset closer to +44 where the tire would stick in....

also, which ones have more drawbacks?

i do know that a wider stance would be beneficial in handling, but i just want to make sure im not missing anything
    i kno suspension geometry can get complicated, so if anyone knows from either experience or just theory i'd love to hear

and also would having an offset such as +38 have any negative effects...
    like bumpsteer, or anything?
    i kno it is a bit tougher on the wheel bearings, but im fine with that...

thanks
    -chris

Wheel Offset and Scrub Radius

Changing the offset of a wheel will change the scrub radius of the tire/wheel combination. Scrub radius is the term that describes the distance between the projected steering axis and the tread centerline at the road surface. The scrub radius is positive when the centerline of the tire lies outside the projected steering axis and negative when the centerline is inside the steering axis. The scrub radius is a distance measurement and is measured in inches or millimeters. The projected steering axis is also known as the kingpin axis which is defined as the invisible line that connects the upper and lower ball joints of the suspension arms.

The size of the scrub radius depends on the steering axis inclination, wheel offset and the distance of the spindle centerline above the road surface. Scrub radius provides the necessary feedback to give the driver road feel. With zero scrub radius, the tire would turn on its centerline and the steering would feel "numb",and provide no feedback.

With negative scrub radius, the tire does not turn on its centerline (it scrubs the road in a turn) and due to the increased friction, more effort is needed to turn the wheel. At the same time, it provides steering feedback and self-centering. Thus a certain amount of negative scrub radius is considered desirable and necessary for most driving.

Based on the foregoing, I believe that reducing the positive offset of your wheels from say 44 to 38 mm would make the scrub radius more positive by moving the centerline further outside the steering axis which MIGHT adversely affect your car's handling. I don't know if the effects would be noticeable or offset the effects of a wider stance but it is something to think about.

References:
    Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack - suspension question, offset and scrub radius... - Ok, I understand basically what scrub radius IS, kinda (its the distance from your suspension to the wheel basically right?? http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif ) but how does it affect handling? ALSO, just to...

Last edited by goldstar; 03-15-2004, 07:30 AM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

in terms of raw handling... the car will handle better with the wheels out wider.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
      X