old vs new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old vs new

Ok i was reading up on the 1g's and i notice that there 1.8L had 125 vs. our 122. what gives? why the old engines more powerful? what did they change? software? different exhuast?

It's a different engine altogether. The B-series block is made out of cast iron instead of aluminum in the F-series. It's also much stronger, happier to rev engine and holds boost better.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Actually, I believe they're both iron block. Totally different engines though. Plus, an additional catalytic converter or so, OBDII, etc.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I think they changed to F-series for the 3rd gen because of its higher torque output in NA form.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

My 97 has 122hp.
          If you notice, the second gen BPs have 3 less HP but 3 more pound feet of torque.
          The EGT had 12 hp didn't they??
          I seem to recall reading somewhere that the FP-DE likes to rev more than the FS-DE and its got a better torque curve.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

so the 1g's have more durable engines that the 3g 1.8L? so are you saying its not too good to be reving my engine alot? i plan on autoXing my 3g and since im new to proteges i dont know if i will blow my motor, would you recommend to not autoX my 1.8L??

Comment

I WILL RECOMMEND you to autox your 3rd gen, as it has one of the best chassis in its class (save for the lack of camber adjustment of course), and the 1.8 FPDE is more than capable of handling the stress of autoxing (see sig lol)

go ahead and autox your 1.8, you'll enjoy it

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

and Jas00x on this forum has probably the most experience in autoxing a 3rd Gen ES, give him a PM if you still have questions

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

alright thats what i wanted to hear, so this FPDE in my 99es is more up to the task of autoXing? alrighty then.

Comment

Working...
                  X