Cleaning headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning headlights

I can get new headlights for my 323 for about $130Cdn ($95US) each. Should I just polish my existing headlights or purchase new ones?

For those that polished them did they come out looking like new? What product did you use?

Can someone get the J-spec headlights lens only and then I can just replace my hazy plastic lenses with the J-spec lens.

Someone need to do a bulk buy on the j-spec headlight lenses only.
    92 323 with BP DOHC
    ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

well i used to use a plastic ploish called mothers plastic polish and it worked but only down side is you have to keep applying it, so blek to that

the j-specs are 350+ i beleive from the group buy on p club

you can always try wet sanding them inside and out, if you serch around you can find an how to site on how to do it,

all i know is you heat them in an oven to lossen the glue take them appart sand them, then apply a trusted plastic polish and slip them back together, back in the oven to seal it back together, im not sure on what grit sandpaper to use or what plastic polish to use.

thats why u should serch

i solved my problem buy getting better ones out of my parts car, and you can try looking for a junked pro with better headlights than yours just some options
    No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex

the j-specs are 350+ i beleive from the group buy on p club

That's for the E-spec headlights and corners.

The J-spec lens will fit in our headlight housing. That's what I want to do, remove the plastic lens and install the glass lens.
      92 323 with BP DOHC
      ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

right sorry bout the mix up, that souns like a good move
        No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

I don't know about E-spec, but I have a set of J-spec headlights and corner lamps on my 91 Protege. The headlights are shorted than our US ones. The corner light is extended out a little bit more to make up for this loss. The extended part is a parking light. When I installed them on my car I needed to modify the harness for both the headlight and corner light. I will try to get pics posted of them on my car.

Adam
          1991 Protege GTR
          1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
          MODS:
          GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
          TO DO LIST:
          EDM/JDM rear bumper
          EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
          Repaint car

Comment

If you have an Auto Zone near you, go there and buy the Blue Magic Plastic Cleaner they sell. Also get the Metal Polish. Apply both with a clean cloth (I used a T-shirt). Do the cleaner first, then rinse, dry, and use the polish. The polish might take several coats to get the desired effect.
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Also, the lenses didn't come out looking new, and they never will unless you clean and polish the outside AND inside like a madman, but they are definitely nice-looking. I would say almost new. I strongly suggest you try the product I mentioned before buying new.
              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

I dont know but the haziness seems to be a surface thing as when they're wet or have chemicals on them they look much better, why not just go get some realy fine grit sandpaper rough it up and spray clearcoat on the lenses.
                94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMarauder
                  Also, the lenses didn't come out looking new, and they never will unless you clean and polish the outside AND inside like a madman, but they are definitely nice-looking. I would say almost new. I strongly suggest you try the product I mentioned before buying new.
                  inside??? uhhhh... ok it is UV damage. UV is absorbed by only the outside. you are wasting your time by taking apart the housing and doing the inside.

As for the e-spec buy it fell through because of a legal issue the supplier had.
                  When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                  Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                  Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                  So his engine he goosed
                  With much too much boost,
                  And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i just took some 409 and scrubbed with a tough sponge
                    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

OK this is what it tried this weekend, the results are AMAZING?????

I used some CLR, than I used some all purpase cleaner (it's a paste and you use some water and with a sponge you rub it, it's slightly abbrasive), than I finished up with some Brassol (metal polish for jewelery).

The headlights look brand new, I was amazed with the results.
                      92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Maguireā€™s body scrub also does a really good job
                        I only have to do twice a season
                        Koroma
                        91 323BG-----------------------
                        Intax springs,PRM Air Intake
                        ST Swaybars, Front upperstrut bar, 15' Prime, Advanced Timing, 2.25 inch-Cat back, Flowmaster, Indiglo gauges, Custom Taillight config

Next Stage
                        J-SPEC GTX kit,Brembo Brake Kit

Comment

My lights were looking a little dingy too, so I took the headlight out of the car and polished it on a buffing wheel. They looked nice, but they would never hold the shine for very long. While I had the the light out of the car I noticed that there was tons of room in the headlight housing itself, so I got a small (2.5" diameter) driving light, cut a hole in the back of the housing and installed the light, looks pretty cool and I hooked it up to the high beams. Cheap and fairly easy upgrade.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Didn't I do a How-to on this a long time ago... wow.. this post is old...
                            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Working...
                            X