Project Super Secret Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Super Secret Race Car

so i bought an 88 sedan of craigslist a while back for $350 with the intent of just taking my BP+T from my dearly departed festiva and swapping it all over to the new chassis. i didnt like how much i changed and hacked the poor festy to where none of the factory parts would ever fit again. i want it to look completely stock (to the non mazda crowd) and be able do directly remove the swap and return it to stock if i feel the need to. im retaining all stock mounts and locations. no wiring or plumbing will be removed or altered in any way.

first issue is that I was planning on running a cable G series trans but couldnt find one so im going with the hydro G series. ill be making a cable adapter to retain the stock clutch cable. the front trans mount is stock protege bracket attached to the stock BF mount. the rear trans mount has been fabricated to drop the rear of the trans by 1" to add some clearance between the frame rail and the trans, the front engine mount is stock protege block attachment point with a custom bracket to hold a stock BF front engine mount bushing inside it. the motor sits dead level side to side with 7* lean towards the front. now that the easy part is done im gonna start inter cooler and other supporting mod install tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00348.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	1271431Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00539.jpg
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	1271432Click image for larger version

Name:	7 degrees foreward.jpg
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1271433Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00542.jpg
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	1271434
    i know its a piece of crap... but im still faster...

Usually on BP swaps into BF cars the front and rear tranny mounts are retained in stock position and then a new right side mount needs fabbed and the right side frame rail is notched for the alt pulley clearance. Let us know how you get yours completed and how you work out the axles. ..should be the same as in your Festiva I would thinks.

Comment

if i was using a cable g series i dont think i would have had to fab mounts. im sure it would have barely fit but i didnt like the way it looked.

Comment

Curious how you got away without notching the framerail. I could NOT get away without that on my GTXR2

Maybe it's because you do have the engine tilted a bit? Most BF BP swaps I've seen use a stock transmission
        1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
        1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
        www.werbatfik.com

Comment

maybe the tilt has something to do with it. the top of the frame rail is wider than the bottom and it almost looks like there is a recess thats just for the alternator pulley. the alternator is pretty close and i still have to remove it to change the belt.

todays progress: i had to rework my ghetto DIY turbo manifold to fit the more spacious 323 engine bay. its only tacked in place but its ready to be finished and gasket matched, all the mounts are painted and installed. i finally got around to machining a barbed 5/8" fitting and pressing it into the end of the lower radiator hose fitting at the block so it connects to the water pipe with a piece of hose instead of the crappy pressed in "o"ring design that i could never get to stop leaking.

more pics coming soon!

Comment

i havent made much progress the last few days due to helping my buddy lower his truck but i managed to take some pics.

clearances between the frame rails and the alt and trans

Name:	trans to frame clearance.jpg
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	1238153Click image for larger version

Name:	alt to frame clearance.jpg
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	1238157

heres my water pipe mod. first is the stock water pump inlet pipe and water pipe connection. the bottom is the modified one installed

Name:	stock water outlet pipe.jpg
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	1238155Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00552.jpg
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	1238156
            Attached Files

Comment

finally finished my hydro to cable adapter. the pivot is made from wheel barrow wheel bearings so its super smooth. the top arm attaches to the pivot bolt with an upside down socket. i milled the sides off of the bottom of the pivot bolt to make a keyway. then made a keyed sleeve that slides over it and attached the lower arm to that. it comes apar incase i need to replace the bearings in the future.

Name:	hydro2cable side.jpg
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	1238187Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro2cable bottom.jpg
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	1238188Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro2 cable top.jpg
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	1238189

heres a pic of how i made the shift stabilizer arm work without cutting and welding. a piece of 1/4 bar with a stud attached to it.

Name:	CAM00563.jpg
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	1238190
              Last edited by fastivab6tg25mr; 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot to add pics

Comment

If that clutch doesn't work out too well (stiff clutch etc) I know from experience that a GTX hydro clutch setup is pretty much a bolt in hydro conversion for a cable BF 323.... I still have a GTX pedal and clutch master cylinder hanging around

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

The Capri hydro assembly should be the same as the 323 sedan as well, those are real easy to find in the JY
                  1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
                  1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
                  www.werbatfik.com

Comment

i want to use all the factory parts without modification incase i get in trouble by the cops. that way all i have to do is pull the BP+T out and drop the B6 back in. thats also why i made the extension for the shift stabilizer rod instead of lengthening it also all the factory wiring and plumbing is remaining unmolested. im just tucking all the unused bits safely out of the way.

now on with the front mount intercooler install!!!

i notched the bumper as little as i possibly could. the front piece i pulled forward to make a duct to channel air across the whole face of the intercooler wile still remaining hidden. i stitch welded the the seams inside the bumper as well as added gussets to try to keep as much structure as possible. i just realized i took zero pics of how i actually mounted it. ill take some and post them later. i used upper radiator supports that i had laying around my shop and just flipped them over. the drivers side lower mount is welded to the drivers side lower radiator mount. on the passenger side i welded 2 nuts to a piece of 16ga sheet metal and fed it though the opening on the outside by the frame rail til it lined up with the mounting holes i drilled in the lower radiator support. the upper mounts are radiator mount grommets inside some wiring harness mounts that bolt to the inside of the bumper.

Name:	bumper duct.jpg
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	1238196Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper modified-no cover.jpg
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	1238197Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper vent 1.jpg
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	1238198Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper vent 2.jpg
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	1238199Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler no bumper.jpg
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	1238200Click image for larger version

Name:	intercooler with bumper and cover.jpg
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	1238201Click image for larger version

Name:	jimmy valence.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	1238202

i found that lower valence laying around my shop. it seems to fit pretty good and if i can make it sit back an inch or so from the bumper i think it will look stock

Comment

CA suck when come to laws...... Was wondering why you would put a stock B6 back in???? LOL

Comment

such is life... i have a bp26 intake manifold so it should look stock at a glance to most cops... ill just convince them its a 323GT lol. "what do you mean officer? its completely stock"

Comment

Just do what I did "I you can't beat then, join them"....... Walked from being pulled over at 147mph in a 55mph zone.

Comment

any idea on what car,truck that air dam was from?
                            5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

looks like an S10

Comment

Working...
                              X