Mfactory LSD warranty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mfactory LSD warranty?

I wasn't sure where to put this, so mods, feel free to move if need be.

I'm pretty sure my mfactory diff exploded this morning, and I was want to know if there's any kind of warranty. It has roughly 30k miles on it, but no documented proof of mileage. Trans was built by a member on here whose work I trust.

Details:

I shifted (at redline) from second to third and got wheel spin like usual. Whenever I backed off the throttle and coasted down, I started hearing a loud rattle. The rattle is louder/more frequent depending on wheel speed and not rpm, loudest being in third gear. It also does it while coasting in neutral.

I jacked the car up when I got home and it is definitely coming from inside the trans. When I spin the right wheel by hand, the left wheel spins in the opposite direction like normal. When I spin the left wheel by hand, the right wheel stays still. There is a crunching feeling every 90 degrees or so when spinning the left wheel.

open the trans. without actually seeing the inside its impossible to really tell.

I highly encourage you to email stephan after you open the transmission.
    REgardless- sorry about the luck. and if you did destroy the Mfactory diff- you'll be the first i've heard/read about (meaning i'll bow to yee breaker of transmissions)
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by redheddude222 View Post

I jacked the car up when I got home and it is definitely coming from inside the trans. When I spin the right wheel by hand, the left wheel spins in the opposite direction like normal. When I spin the left wheel by hand, the right wheel stays still. There is a crunching feeling every 90 degrees or so when spinning the left wheel.

Wait wut?
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Kitty, that's the normal operation in neutral. In gear, both wheels should spin in the same direction.

I'll get the trans out and take it apart in time. I work too much right now to be motivated.

Comment

fair answer is fair. keep me informed please!
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

LSD is good. Third gear is not.

[/URL]

Comment

At least a new trans is cheaper then a new mfactory lol still sucks to have to replace it though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i HIGHLY advise opening the LSD & using a parts washer to clean out the debris - you'll greatly prolong the life if you do.just keep locktite on hand for putting the bolts back in.

Comment

I'm going to pay a shop to clean it up and put it into the trans I buy. I don't trust myself putting one of these back together anymore. It's been probably 8 years since I put one back together and put it in a car.

Comment

fair. id help if i was closer

Comment

Originally posted by redheddude222 View Post
                      I'm going to pay a shop to clean it up and put it into the trans I buy. I don't trust myself putting one of these back together anymore. It's been probably 8 years since I put one back together and put it in a car.
                      To bad you weren't closer.. I could build you a new transmission with all the spare parts I have kicking around..

Comment

Did I put this together?

Needs 5th gear plate mod and PAR gears...

--Ferdi
                        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                        -----
                        Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                        Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                        Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

No, ferdi. Jon (therieldeal) built this trans. It's taken some abuse, that's for sure.

Comment

If anyone is willing to take on the task , I'd be willing to ship out my two bad transmissions for someone to combine into a good one. (Third gear synchro blew up in the other one, gears are still fine.)

Comment

I have no problems building it for you bud... but the shipping to canada and back probably isn't worth it..

Comment

Working...
                              X