Auto trans fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto trans fluid

How do I change the trans fluid on a '98 1.5 auto? The Haynes manual is a joke...

Thanks

You can certainly do it yourself. You have to drain the fiuld out, and then you need to flush the tranny of all the old debree and sh*t. Then refill it, and remember NOT to overfill. You have to know that you are putting cold fluid, most likely into a cold tranny. If you put too much fluid, it will later on expand. And when that happens, your tranny will go out whack, and you might end up getting another one. You also have to remember that on the tranny dipstick, there are two readings: for cold temp and for hot. So make sure to fill up according to the temperature. So, if you wake up and want to do this first thing in the morning, the tranny will be cold. You just got off high-way, or came back from work, it will more likely be hot. Anyhow, once you fill up, get in the car and shift through gears: R-N-D-3-2-1. You should spend about 30 seconds in each gear, excluding N and shift through gears about 2-3 times. Then take it for a drive, and see if the gears are shifting smoothly between R and D, and also when the car is shifting on its own.

You can do that or take it to shop. The shop would connect a machine to your tranny and drain, flush and refill it. It will cost you $50-60, and half an hour of your time. I think its totally worth it. Anyhow, I hope this helps, and goodluck.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Working...
    X