Best Sub, for the $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Sub, for the $$

I've been looking around but can't decide what to get. I want a sub or two, just to make it sound nice, I wanna be able bump w/ some stuff but also play loud w/ other and still have it sound clean. I listen to all types of music, rock, oldies,rap, country, punk, etc.... I'll JL audio but not there prices??? Boston comp. are pretty good to. Audiobahn I have no clue on.....? any idea's or help. I don't want to spend to much... I would go with all new door speakers but that's way to much.

Any help is appreciated
    Thank you,
    Matt
    02 Pro5
    Eibachs
    Kartboy shortshifter w/ bushings
    E.12k.14 sub w/
    2150 US Acouctics
    Some what tinted

by far the best subs i've ever found/tested for the money are the subs from elemental designs. they've got 3 series, depending on your budget. the K's are getting more common. the O's are designed for a sealed enclosure, and to sound superb. the A series are just bad ass

they've also got some nice avionixx amps available for a great price.

Comment

yes, edesigns.
      hard to beat.
      i heard the adire shiva's are nuts too, tho i've never tested them.
      get a e12k or something.
      sealed or ported u'll be very pleased.
      -onehawaiian | My 2002 P5 Funk
      >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
      **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

edesign subs rule!!!
        '02 classic red p5
        currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

course resonant engineering is in a close second for value along with adire audio

Comment

One more question?

I wanna spend about $400 sub-amp. Kinda cheap, I know. But I think I'll be going w/ a 10"???? and Idunno about an amp?? what setup would you do for sub 10 or 12 then amp????

Thanks alot for any help
            The subs look sweet, hope they sound as good as you say.

Matt
            02 Pro5
            Eibachs
            E.12k.14 sub w/
            2150 US Acouctics
            Some what tinted

Comment

how bout!

This sub: e12K.44 / 14 or should I go for a higher model http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/12k.htm <----that's the page???
              02 Pro5
              Eibachs
              E.12k.14 sub w/
              2150 US Acouctics
              Some what tinted

Comment

Not to sound bias, but I was turned on to EDesigns by Blue and Rider69 and I am more than pleased with them. I replaced old SoundStream SPL12's which at the time were $400 a pair new retail (for the SoundStream). The Elementals sound very close to the SoundStream and don't skimp on sound quality either. They are solidly built subs with oversized magnets, a flat thick cone, and a hell of an excursion for some serious bass. It's not only for serious bass, but good and all aspects of music whether you listen to metal, rock, rap, techno, and/or jazz. I listen to about every thing and they sound awsome with every kind of music and will give out what ever you throw at them. I have the "K" series 1 pair in a sealed box right now. They are 4 ohm DVC subs running in a 1ohm load and getting 600 watts RMS from my SoundStream Class A amp. They also have a 3 year warranty, the best in the industry!

MisterT
                2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                Groundkit

Comment

I forgot to mention that the SPL12 SoundStream is a tough act to follow and the Elemental Designs performs just as well as they did or pretty damn close to it. I have not heard any thing bad about their products since I have heard of them and have not exerienced any neither.
                  2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                  KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                  Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                  Groundkit

Comment

Re: how bout!

Originally posted by Lenny
                    This sub: e12K.44 / 14 or should I go for a higher model http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/12k.htm <----that's the page???
                    The E12k.44 or even the e10k.44 would be perfectly matched up with an Avionixx 500M $265 which would still keep your cost about $400.

Comment

Hey, thanks alot for all the help! Very much appreciated.

Thanks, Matt
                      02 Pro5
                      Eibachs
                      E.12k.14 sub w/
                      2150 US Acouctics
                      Some what tinted

Comment

I know, I know!

Another question, I'm no electronic guy, but which is better and what's the difference between the dual 4 ohm or singl 4 ohm I'm buying one sub and probably in a vented box??? Which box do you guys perfer I guess?? vented or sealed?? and it says to go w/ the AXA 400.2 amp???? once again any help? I like music subs but don't know that much I know watts like everyone else but ohm's and sub size and space which is better???? Idunno? I'll tell you I'm planning on going w/ ONE e12k.44 (dual 4 ohm or single 4 ohM???) then the AXA 400.2 amp unless there's any reason to go w/ the AXA 500m. What's the difference? why one over the other? Thank you!
                        02 Pro5
                        Eibachs
                        E.12k.14 sub w/
                        2150 US Acouctics
                        Some what tinted

Comment

OK, well the impedance (ohms) of the voice coil(s) is what determines the load on the amp. If you have one single 4 ohm voice coil then the amp will see a 4 ohm load. If you have two 4 ohm voice coils (DVC sub), then depending on how you wire it up will determine the load on the amp. Generally, the lower the impedance, the higher the load and the more power the amp will put out. So, basically if you have 2 4 ohm VC and wire them up in parallel of each other, you present the amp with a 2 ohm load, which would about double the output of the amp. Most mono sub amps (500m) are capable of handling a 2 ohm load. The 400.2 is not a mono amp and would be bridged in this case and it is only rated to handle a 4 ohm load. Which would mean that you need to get a single voice coil sub, the E12K.14. The SVC versus the DVC will not effect your sound much, if at all, it just gives you more wiring options.

Hope this helps.

BTW, the reason they probably recommend the 400.2 over the 500m is for a couple of reasons:
                          1. Last I heard the 500m was on backorder.
                          2. The output of the 400.2 is lower than the 500m and better suited for the woofer.
                          3. The 400.2 is cheaper.

Comment

So if I go with the SVC E12k.44 and the 400.2 amp brigded it will all work out?

THANKS
                            02 Pro5
                            Eibachs
                            E.12k.14 sub w/
                            2150 US Acouctics
                            Some what tinted

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny
                              So if I go with the SVC E12k.44 and the 400.2 amp brigded it will all work out?

THANKS
                              no, with that amp you'll need the E12k.14 the single voice coil sub the DVC one is the 12k.44. thanks rider for suggesting the equipment to him and you are correct in why they suggested the 400.2 over the 500m

Comment

Working...
                              X