Rear Disc Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Disc Brakes

Hey guys....just did a search on the forums and couldn't find any previous posts on this so I'm asking.....I thought I saw somewhere that it would be fairly straightforward to bolt ES front disc brakes in place of the rear drums on a Gen II, any truth to this?....I can't see it being that easy, but if it can be done I'd like to do it beofre my rims go on in the spring. Any and all posts will be considered helpful

nobody has ever tried to put front brakes on the rear
    but the protege es' came with rear discs, so why wouldnt u just do that?

Comment

It not possible to put front discs in the place of the rear drums. I mean, if you have lots of money, and have plenty of time and know what you are doing, then yeah, it possible, but be ready to put atleast 2-3 thousand down right now. I can assume that you want the discs in the rear for looks. Correct me if I am wrong. Because if you are going for performance, you will not see much gain. You might even do worse then good. You do not want too much grip in the rear, because your car will fishtail everytime you brake. Therefore, you will need to fine tune your entire brake system to work well.

You have to understand that certain parts on the car designed for a reason. You can certailnly put discs in the rear, but not from the front of the car. You can find rear discs of any other 95-98 Protege, or even previous generation too. Its a lot of work, and you need to have all the right parts. You will need the spindle, the pads, rotors, and other necessary hardware. The front parts simply will not fit in the rear of the car. But like I said, if you want to have a custom look, some big-brake-kit manufacturers might make you a one-off. It will cost however, a pretty penny.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by brad98
        Hey guys....just did a search on the forums and couldn't find any previous posts on this so I'm asking.....I thought I saw somewhere that it would be fairly straightforward to bolt ES front disc brakes in place of the rear drums on a Gen II, any truth to this?....I can't see it being that easy, but if it can be done I'd like to do it beofre my rims go on in the spring. Any and all posts will be considered helpful

next time search better. and you got it all wrong...nevermind, just read the posted link
        Almost there

jdm tails... check
        jdm bumper... check
        ms lip... check
        ms grill... check
        ms sideskirts... check
        ms rear skirts... check
        ms spoiler... check
        ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
        Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

yep...I got my info screwed u p. Thanx for pointing me in the right direction!

Brad

Comment

You're from Canada, there are many many second gens with rear disc brakes here. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
            X