? about brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about brakes

what is the purpose of the w shaped clip and do i really need it. cause i just did the front brakes and both side were broken. just thought i'd ask before buying new ones.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

not sure but it may be the clip that holds the instide brake pad to the caliper pistion....either way yes, get new clips so that your brake pads dont squeal.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

go to any local car parts store and ask for a brake hardware kit... for the front or rear whichever it is you need. shouldn''t be more than $11
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

acctually i broke one of mine a long time ago and never replaced it and it never gave me any problems but u should still replace it
        i is dumb

Comment

actually if its the front brakes make sure your shafts going through the brake pads are held in place properly other wise the shafts will come out and rub against your rims destroying them.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I think it actually puts tension on the pads and helps to push the pads off the rotor.

I could be wrong, but that is what I basically got from looking at it.

go to www.mazdaformance.com and order them ..
            bruce
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
              I think it actually puts tension on the pads and helps to push the pads off the rotor.

I could be wrong, but that is what I basically got from looking at it.
              bruce
              Thats my best guess too. I was missing both of them on my right rear caliper and it was causing that one to wear out really quickly. Last time I changed them, the previous set had only been on for ~4 months.
              Bought and installed the pads on just the one side (weather was cold and no room in the garage) They've been fine since, once I got the new clips/springs or whatever you want to call them.
              I'd really like to get a few consecutive weekends of warm weather so I can give my car a good looking over and check out my brakes, tires, belts, hoses etc...........
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

The clip that runs along the outer pad holds the shafts in. The W-shaped clips help hold the pads off the rotor as stated above.

"Mazderati"
                91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
                Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
                Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
                AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

if theres no "w" shapped clip the pins may slide out of the caliper hittting your wheel and if they manage to fall out completly they will free your brake pads causing very starange and unpredictible braking
                  No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

ya its there to keep the pad from fallin out.. an rubbin against yer rotors.. i remember i had this problem with my old tempo.. it basically caused a constant grinding sound an felt liek i was alwyas braking on that side
                    Pewter Silver 92 DX 5 Spd 1.8L SOHC
                    -Stainless steel MagnaFlow exhaust with a double walled tip.
                    -205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE910 rubber
                    -B&M Short Throw Shifter
                    -MX-3 GS front seats
                    -Front an Rear upper strut braces

(LOOKING FOR A CAI FOR MY SOHC !!!!)
                    (GT-X on the way as I type)

Comment

The little W clip is worthless. It is only for ease of installation of the pads and caliper onto the rotor.

The shims are what can cuase ****ty sounds. The shims are those metal rectangular boxes taht look like they've been cut in half. They are basically a peice of sheetmetal with 4 sides that you slip onto the hub and they kinda insulate the hub from the caliper.

U can buy those from the parts store too
                      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Are there any springs or clips on the rear calipers?
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                          Are there any springs or clips on the rear calipers?
                          yes, both front and rear have clips, spacers and shims.

Comment

I only have those metal clips on the side.

FTW
                            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

yea theres 2 clips in the assmembly. he w one and the one that ataches to both the pins. im going to go ahead a order new ones. they must be there for a reason right. just didnt want to get in probel going down the road right. thanks for all ya'lls replies.
                              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                              X