Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Question about the 1.8 swap.

Hey!
    I read through the board and i noticed everyone saying that the BPT swap was a pain. What is so hard about doing it? I mean...I know that the BP swap is way much easier but when you wanna put a turbo in..you have to reinforce everything to support compression right? when you compare the price of the 2 engines, wouldn't it be better to buy the one that has the turbo and spend more money on just installing it? Cuz I have a 95 DX pro AT and I wanted the start a little project like putting the BPT with a MT..but after reading I think it might just be a little too complicated for a newbie like me.
    I know a place near where I live that sells BP and BPT ( the BPT is 1000$) with transmission, ecu, harness...and everything that i need.
    Anyone can help me?

Don't anyone flame him with " do a search" ..

I split the thread from engine swap FAQ, so he would actually get a more rounded response and it would keep the FAQ on topic.

-------------------------------------

Welcome Franky D ,
    A lot of people do do the 1.8 GTX swap into there 2nd gen, but it is kind of a pain. The reason is because you can't use your stock wire harness and you would have to use the 1st gen gtx harness and then hard wire the harness up to your car. (which may or may not be easy).

Then most do the 1.8 BP (naturally aspirated) swap from a 95-98 protege, for ease of convienence. You can simply either modify the 1.5 harness for your givin year which includes changing of some plugs and wireing the MAF sensor.

Respectfully the hardest part of the 1.5 to 1.8L swap is installing the motor. After that everything is pretty much uphill and easy coasting.

The engine doesn't really cost much either. You can get your hands on a good BP motor for about 300 to 400 dollars. Ofcourse this depends on who you deal with and shipping charges could be extra.

To convert your car to 5 speed would not be that hard also. You would basically need to find the needed parts out of a donor car and then install them in your car.
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

The BPT tranny will not work, Its an AWD tranny also

Comment

Thanks for responding so fast!!
        Ok so that sounds much easier with the BP. And to convert my AT to MT is easy? so what i need is a MT, clutch, a pedal..what else do i need? and for the BP, are the engine mounts the same?
        I feel like i'm asking silly questions

Comment

Working...
        X