REar caliper slider question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REar caliper slider question

When I first joined the Protegetech Yahoo group I remember reading a post by someone that a friend of a friend of a friend, and so on, who was a Mazda tech used some lube on the caliper sliders in the rear that was used by VW/Audi which supposedly eliminated the common problem of sticking calipers.
    I know that whenever I do a rear brake job on my car the sliders are stickier than hell.
    Anybody have some idea where, I can pick some of this **** up??
    Or does anyone have suggestions on one that works just as good??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

vw dealer ... stop by and ask them about it one day...
    You may be able to order it.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Word, will try that next tiem I'm finished work early enough.
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Isn't there some generic alternative? I bet the VW parts department is closed already by tonight, and I wanna put my brakes back on.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
          I know that whenever I do a rear brake job on my car the sliders are stickier than hell.
          Anybody have some idea where, I can pick some of this **** up??
          Or does anyone have suggestions on one that works just as good??
          What you're after is silicone grease. It's designed specifically for this sort of thing. Comes in a tube and looks a lot like silicone caulk but doesn't harden up like that. Go to a decent auto parts store and ask for it.
          Obviously, you need to be certain that you do not get any grease on the pads or the rotors.
          You will also want to make sure that the slider pins are clean and free from corrosion. If they are rusty, get new ones. You will want to apply just a thin layer of grease to the slider surfaces- this will prevent the grease from getting all over everything later on and will greatly reduce the possibility of the calipers seizing. It's easy enough to do that I do this as a routine matter once a year or so.
          Chris
          '91 Protege LX
          '99 Miata sport

Comment

Its either silicone or synthetic grease. I can't remember what either looks like, but it should like white toothpaste. I had that problem not long ago with my front sliders. On both sides f*ckers froze. It was a bitch to get them moving also. Thats what my boss recommended to use when I worked in a brake shop. I also made sure that I took out as much rust as possible from the sliders' holes, and replaced rubber boots. I highly recommend to get those, they are cheap, and you do not want the same problem happening sooner than you expected. As for things related to VW stuff. I used it to seal my Air Temp Sensor to my custom made CAI. Works like a charm.
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

eh I just went to the store and got a tube of Brake Lubricant. Says it's for Caliper Slides and other stuff too. :p:
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
                Its either silicone or synthetic grease. I can't remember what either looks like, but it should like white toothpaste. I had that problem not long ago with my front sliders. On both sides f*ckers froze. It was a bitch to get them moving also. Thats what my boss recommended to use when I worked in a brake shop. I also made sure that I took out as much rust as possible from the sliders' holes, and replaced rubber boots. I highly recommend to get those, they are cheap, and you do not want the same problem happening sooner than you expected. As for things related to VW stuff. I used it to seal my Air Temp Sensor to my custom made CAI. Works like a charm.
                Happen to have a part number for rear caliper sliders and the rubber boots??

Comment

I use a synthetic caliper lube made by Permatex - it's green and comes in a ~6oz tub (you may be able to buy a smaller quantity as this would be more than enough to last an individual a lifetime.) I'm a mechanic and do brakes on a regular basis and this stuff rules.

Just a cautionary note, don't use anti-sieze on your sliders. It causes the rubber to swell slightly and make the sliders stick and it eventually turns into a nasty paste that is anything but slippery.
                  '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

No, I do not, sorry. But I am positive that TheMAN can. He is very good with looking up the parts numbers.
                    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                      X