Announcement

Collapse

Merged Threads

All threads have been merged into regional general discussions.
If you need a thread moved to a specific state, Please PM a moderator
See more
See less

My build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My build thread

so, I recently purchased a 2000 Mazda Protege LX. It's a five speed 1.6l with power everything and a sunroof. So among other things I am debating building a engine in preparation of putting a turbo on it. Prior to that i have a few small items to figure out and fix. more to come ill start posting pictures and updates as they happen.

Welcome to CP.

Congratulations on your new purchase. We look forward to seeing photos of your car and your updates as they become available.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

the 1.6l is very turbo friendly. you'll enjoy a turbo kit
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks guys. I have some stuff being done this weekend and I'll post pictures of it later when everything is done.

Goldstar I'm finding your posts all great and worth reading. Looking at doing some of the upgrades you've mentioned.

Comment

Well I'm pretty happy. The car got an oil change today as well as new plus and wires. Also swapped out the battery connectors for some good quality ones. Looking forward to Wednesday so I can order some stuff

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Comment

So this car is starting to get on my nerves. When I bought it I was told the rear drivers side strut needed to be replaced, I was okay with that because it came with a brand new strut and spring. So about a week or so after I bought it a friend of mine and me set upon doing the rear strut replacement. We didn't get very far before realizing that the rear sway bar link would have to be replaced in order to get the strut off the car. Yay right. So we put the car back together I ordered the part and the next weekend we set to doing it....again. this time it went smooth got the sway bar link off got the strut out no sweat. Well when we installed the new spring and strut we used the old mount but a comment was made that I needed to order a new one to swap in. Well, I wish I didn't always wait until stuff breaks before I Fix it. Yesterday driving down the road I hit a frost heave, no way around it it goes from one side to the other and it sucks Maine roads suck. Well I hit the bump and I knew something wasn't right so I pulled over and took a quick look. Well the top of the strut put a hole right through th mount. So now because I'm broke until Wednesday I have to order the part and if they have one in stock hope I can get the money together to get it swapped over. Won't take more than forty five minutes or so but my commute to work just got a lot longer due to having to drive slow. So yeah I get the car running good, doing th plugs and oil change and then this happens. If it's not one thing it's another. Oh and my front left wheel bearing has started to go. Which is something else I gotta order

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405934883814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1238775Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405934902403.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1238776Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405934902403.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1238776

Comment

older car + all new parts= reliable. altho it can be a struggle till you reach that point.
                Keep on my friend!
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Oh I know. It just is frustrating it feels like I get one thing fixed and two more things pop up. Since the oil change and the plugs and wire it's ran so much better. The strut mount will be here tomorrow and will get put on tomorrow so only one more to work and then to my buddies to put it on. Then Wednesday I'm ordering the wheel bearing it needs and when that gets put on I'm prolly gonna do a whole rear brake job. My other plans are on hold until this thing is reliable. Which I would rather have a reliable car than a pretty looking car.

Comment

did you get the mount installed??

Comment

No Sunday my mechanics wife just had their daughter so he's been unavailable

Comment

Definitely looking forward to this week. Gettin rims put on, windows tinted and hopefully figuring out a place to get a front strut bar and a cai.

Comment

Alright so I made a step forward only to go back two steps. Got the new strut mount replaced was less than ten miles from my buddy's house and the strut once again went up through the mount. I'm not sure but I'm thinking I'm missing some part but I'm not sure at this point.
                          We then set about the job of replacing my front wheel bearing. Well that turned out to be a mission. However we got everything apart and started the processing of pressing the bearing out, we made a makeshift press that worked pretty well for the hub, when we got to the bearing it wouldn't budge. We then went to the BFH which did it's job and got the bearing out. This is the part that didn't go well, we went to put the bearin in, hit it twice to get it to start and noticed that the bearing seperated. Well at the end of the day we ended up just putting everything together and hoping that everything stayed together. To say I'm a little POed is a understatement. Now to do some research and figure out what part my strut assembly is missing.

Comment

sometimes its better to pay someone to press the bearings if you don't know how to do it properly. or if you don't have proper tools.

Comment

Well this time when I have to replaced in going to have a shop do just that. My buddy doesn't want to do press in bearings of any sort after today so.

Comment

Working...
                              X