can't figure it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't figure it out

my car has been running weird lately.It doesn't happen all the time but there's defiantly something wrong.It hesitates/boggs down like I'm letting of the gas when i'm not.At first i figured my fuel filter was the problem but replacing it did nothing.It all started after i put new plugs,wires,rotor,& distributer cap on.i gapped the plugs right and i just don't understand what's wrong.i don't wanna put it in the shop cause i like doing things myself plus it's probably something simple.any ideas?

check the egr valve it could be sticking
    98 protege lx 1.8l
    short ram intake custom
    crane hi-6 ign.
    14 miata alloy wheels
    .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

the best way would to hook up a scan tool to it and jus monitor all the inputs

Comment

fuel injector probs maybe?

Comment

the same thing happened to my dad, and it ended up being bad gas.

Comment

bad gas

everytime this happens i always had 87 octane in the tank.several times i've added 93 octane and it started running like a champ.although it doesn't do this every time i put the cheap stuff in.i think it's the brand.i think sonoco gas is junk personally,bp tends to be better.gas prices are outragous especially for the 93,2$ a gallon on average.

Comment

check the fuel pump

Comment

its not the gas, and sunoco isnt bad
                sunoco actually has the cleanest gas you could find

i would check the fuel pump
                but as i said before, it will be easier if you get a friend with an OBD 2 scan tool, you could look at what all the sensors are doing, and you will be able to troubleshoot it, as opposed to guessing, replacing, and then realizing you wasted your money

does it only happen in high humidity, or in the rain...
                you could have a cracked distributor cap, or a misfire somewhere

you could have a fuel pump that hiccups..

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                  but as i said before, it will be easier if you get a friend with an OBD 2 scan tool, you could look at what all the sensors are doing, and you will be able to troubleshoot it, as opposed to guessing, replacing, and then realizing you wasted your money
                  You need more than an OBDII scan tool for that. The scanner will just read any codes that are stored.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

my mistake,
                    an OBD II diagnostic tool

Comment

Working...
                    X